WTN: Cedarville '02 Viognier

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Cedarville '02 Viognier

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:16 am

Their viogniers are the only one in our basement. This one is listed at 14.1% alcohol and cost somewhere around $20-$25.

Clear lemon-yellow color. There's a heavy nose with notes of melon (or at least, that's the best I can come up with) underneath some higher-toned floral smells and some oak, but there's also a sharpness, probably from the alcohol. In the mouth, there's an initial creamy smoothness to it. A thick sensation, with more of the ripe melon flavor. This gives way a bit in the mid-palate to some tartness and minerality. That said, it's a very full-bodied wine. The tart aspect contributes to a nice, clean finish and good length.

It's an interesting wine. There's a big hefty chardonnay-ness to it that might turn some people off. I find the acid and mineral character balance that nicely. It's something of a Dolly Parton wine, but Dolly wearing something that tones her down a bit.

This was my last bottle of the '02 (or at least I think it was). Very nice stuff and it went extremely well with a "Colonial Chicken Pudding" that was a something like Yorkshire pudding with chicken in it.

Mike

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Re: WTN: Cedarville '02 Viognier

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:31 am

I have never come across Cedarville up here in lumberjack country! Although Renwood has come in for some critical reviews in some places, I hear that a new vintage of their Viognier is here in town. Will give it a shot after I have started on my lineup!! Am away for a few days but will check in next week.
Would be great to have Mat Garretson here, Mr Viognier!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Jenise » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:38 pm

Dolly Parton in a suit with her hair pinned up, maybe? That's a great analogy. It's big, but not all over the place. Your description very much matches what I remember tasting and being so impressed with at the winery.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby James Dietz » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:41 am

This is one of the Viogniers I buy every year when the mailing list reaches me.. and it never fails to please.
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus