The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Wine Focus on the `05 Yalumba Y Series Viognier, S Australia.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:23 pm

I have been a big fan of this wine for a number of years and have been rarely disappointed. This is their entry level viognier and would seem to be readily available. Cost up here is $16.00 Cdn.

14.5% alc, SC.

Colour. Medium straw w. just a tinge of lemon showing. Legs start to run after 30 seconds.

Nose. Has been opened half hour. Wow, tons of sulphur and smell of burnt matches. Never experienced this bad. It is tough to find the honeysuckle or apricot with this diversion!!

Palate. Tastes better than it smells! But there is definately an odd flavor on the finish. Acdity comes through and some lycee and apricot, but it all seems too one-dimensional this time around. Not at all fruit generous, an off bottle for sure or is it the dreaded screwcap?!!
I have had many better experiences in the past, thats for sure.

*** after 24 hrs (vacu-vin), nose has improved but little mid-palate. Some bitterness on the finish, not pleasant.
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Wine Focus on the `05 Yalumba Y Series Viognier, S Australia.

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi Bob, I tasted this wine on 17th May and here's my notes.

Yalumba 'Y' Series Viognier 2005
Waikarei (Riverlands area), South Australia

Light bright gold in colour, it seemed a little muted at first but opened up well with citrus blossoms and apricot on the nose. I found it to be quite a crisp, phenolic style with alcoholic heat, a citrus spiciness, lemon butter lollies and a slightly toffee-ish orange-liqueur (Curacao) flavour character to the finish. Medium to full-bodied, by the end of the glass it was actually quite more-ish as a drink. 14.5% alc. Screwcap closure. NZ$14.95, which is about US$9 and CAN$10 at todays rates.

Definitely didn't experience the sulphur that you did, although this could be what muted the wine at first. My wine was not chilled, although it was late autumn in May, so outside temps pretty low compared to what you would be getting right now.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:27 pm

Bob, something I've been meaning to ask you for a long time is about your observation of the legs on a wine. Most of your reports include that. What conclusions do you draw from what you see? Why are legs important (vs. simply knowing the abv)?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:11 pm

Jenise, I guess I am a leg man!!!!!
I just like looking at them.......as I swirl my glass. I know it is all about physics and has no real relevance. Question of habit I guess.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Sue, I noticed your note on the `05 colour. Light gold? Nowhere near that in my notes!!! That is what makes this so much fun eh.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:36 pm

Okay, interesting. And a good answer--wasn't trying to put you on the spot. I just don't pay any attention to the legs. Probably always in too big a hurry to get to that first sip!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:36 am

Yeah, year in and year out, this bottling seems to be very good. And since the price is always less than $10, I don't know why I don't buy more of it.. a great choice for folks who don't think they like dry white wines too...
Cheers, Jim