The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:11 pm

N. of the equator

Re: WTN: Jenise buys eight viogniers, loves one

by DebA » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Deborah, yes I've had Yalumba Y in the past and though not the 05, if it's true to style the wine is less ripe (so, more acid and less perfumey) than most American viogniers, and I believe it's an unwooded wine to boot. Very refreshing, and it competes at the McManis level. The Zaca Mesa I've not had in years, but that winery on the whole goes for a juicy, fruit forward style and if I've understood the weather in that area correctly, 05 should have been a good year for viognier. FWIW, the best $10 or under viognier I've probably ever had was by RH Phillips, another California winery but this time from the Sacramento area (I can't think of the name of the region, might be Dundee Hills). Others have spoken well of it in other vintages so I know they're fairly consistent. Would be one to try if you can get your hands on it.

Thanks very much for the feedback, Jenise, I appreciate it as I really wanted to drink several viogniers that were true to style and was unsure of where I may be headed. As I mentioned in the post above to Bob, I am still looking forward to trying the Yalumba Y series viognier, but it sounds like I will enjoy the Zaca Mesa which the retailer kindly included in my case order gratis as he could not supply me with the Yalumba. Thanks also for the heads up on RH Phillips' viognier..I'm off to wine searcher right away!
:)
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:24 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:If I might pop in here, the Y series Viognier is always a consistent product and is very gluggable on the patio or around the pool. I have purchased every vintage since `00 and have never had a bad bottle of wine. It is a good into to the varietal!! 16.00 Cdn.

I agree.. I've never had a bottle of this I didn't like, and it has been very popular at OLs.

Another consistent performer, and under or around $10, is the Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier blend. This is amazing for the price.

Also good and consistent, year in and year out, is the d'Arenberg Hermit Crab, which is a blend of Viognier and Marsanne. Also under $15.
Cheers, Jim
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:40 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:If I might pop in here, the Y series Viognier is always a consistent product and is very gluggable on the patio or around the pool. I have purchased every vintage since `00 and have never had a bad bottle of wine. It is a good into to the varietal!! 16.00 Cdn.

I agree.. I've never had a bottle of this I didn't like, and it has been very popular at OLs.

Another consistent performer, and under or around $10, is the Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier blend. This is amazing for the price.

Also good and consistent, year in and year out, is the d'Arenberg Hermit Crab, which is a blend of Viognier and Marsanne. Also under $15.

Excellent! Thank you for the additional reccos, James. I did locate and order the RH Phillips viognier that you mentioned earlier, Jenise, and now I'm off to track down some Pine Ridge and d'Arenberg! Are you getting all of this, Ronica? ;) By the time we are done with all of these wines, we will definitely know our viogniers! :)
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:07 pm

One of the Phillips Viogniers is under the EXP label and is , in my mind, a foodie. I found the `99 quite oily and going down hill fast in `03/04. The McManis is very good eh.
Jenise, have you tried the Kettle Valley??
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:25 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:One of the Phillips Viogniers is under the EXP label and is , in my mind, a foodie. I found the `99 quite oily and going down hill fast in `03/04. The McManis is very good eh.
Jenise, have you tried the Kettle Valley??

Doris, I ordered the 2003 Phillips Viognier with the EXP label. Would you please explain what you mean when you refer to it as a "foodie?" Thanks.
:cool:
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:28 pm

Yeah that D`Arenberg is top notch and a must buy!! Foodie....food wine match up or just some nibbles. Que Sera Sera!!
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:33 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Yeah that D`Arenberg is top notch and a must buy!! Foodie....food wine match up or just some nibbles. Que Sera Sera!!

Ahh, thank you! I suspected as much but wanted to make sure ;) I rarely drink a glass of wine without a meal or something to nibble on. Glad to know others concur that the D'Arenberg is a good selection too.:cool:
Previous