The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A weird, wacky, old white from Portugal

by Otto » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:11 pm

How to find great QPRs? Head to Portugal and buy those wacky old things that nobody mentions anywhere! :D Seriously, I have had several really weird wines through a shop called Garrafeira Nacional: Serradayres 1947, Borba 1979, Carcavelos, Colares - apart from one or two notable exceptions, these have all been under 30€ / bottle!

Tonight I shared one more of these wacky Portuguese delights with a friend of mine:

Where is this from in Portugal? Is it fortified? Was it originally made in an oxidative style? Does anyone know anything about the producer that has a whole four hits on Google?

Whatever the story behind it, the Virgolino José Torroaes Vinho Branco Especial 1930 was wonderful. When served this blind, I was thinking of Palo Cortado: delightful rancio aromas, nutty, captivating. Dry, with wonderful bite, but perhaps not as much alcohol as PC would have? I can't tell if this is fortified and the label doesn't have any indication of alcohol. What a wonderful surprise. Whatever it is, I thought it was lovely.

The cost? About 25€ including shipping. QPR-level? Very high. I love Sherry, and think that it has some of the best QPR anywhere, and this was similar in style to Palo Cortado - and cheaper than many of them.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.