The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

WTN:Torres Vina Sol - Is an old QPR fave still 'hot'?

by Ian Sutton » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:58 pm

2006 Miguel Torres Penedès Viña Sol - Spain, Catalunya, Penedès (4/3/2009)
Screwcap sealed, served moderately chilled.
Firm lemony nose along with sauvignon blanc-like nettles. Nice tangy lemony acidity, but also some complexity arising in the form of some nuttiness and a faintly grassy/waxy finish that has surprising length for a wine of this stature.

All in all, no great surprise. A wine that consistently punches a little above it's weight and worked well with the plaice + smoked salmon risotto we matched it with tonight.

Comment
Well having tasted a sale bargain in my first post on the QPR theme, here's a challenger from the other camp - no reduction but often cited as offering value. Well it does offer good (though IMO not great) value. It's priced ~ £6 normally (though when I went to find the price on cellartracker, I notice the upmarket supermarket Waitrose currently has 25% off i.e. ~ £4.50). What would I pay? £7 would still offer value, but perhaps £8 would be a cut off where other wines start to offer competing value.

Where this also comes up trumps is on a wine list of a simple bistro or gastropub. If you assume they'd be charging up to £12 a bottle, then it still remains a reasonable proposition, together with good food matching possibilities and knowing the wine would count in it's favour when compared to other wines on the list.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster