The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Pétalos 2007 - not QPR, sadly

by Otto » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:19 pm

Descendientes de José Palacios Pétalos 2007 Bierzo
15,96€; 14%abv. Much purplosity and toffee-like oak aromas. It also has quite a bit of vegetative aromas mixed with the anonymous, black/inky fruit. Full bodied and with nice acidity but ultimately vacuous. I liked the 2004 but, to varying degrees, all other vintages have been disappointingly modern, anonymous and spoofulated. Cheap by Finnish standards, but not to my taste so I don't see any value for my money.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Pétalos 2007 - not QPR, sadly

by Ian Sutton » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Otto
It certainly sounds awful in a "do I really want to drink this?" sort of way. Sadly too many wines around that would earna similar description.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:41 am

I liked the 2006 a lot though the last bottle seemed to be losing fruit and focus. There was oak there but I found it integrated and not dominant. However I accept that this would be disagreeable to an advanced quercophobe like Otto. I'll try one bottle of the 2007 if I see it.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:54 pm

By chance, Pétalos' importer was exhibiting some of his range this afternoon at Rob and was billing the Pétalos Bierzo 2007. In the event, however, he showed the 2006 which has definitely darkened but still shows, IMO, some lovely fruit with oak by now perfectly integrated; 16/20 and good QPR at €12,60 (discounted for the day).

He did say, however, that the 2007 is not currently showing well being aromatically closed down with oak obtruding, which corresponds to what Otto finds. He also said that the 2006 was similar at the start, which must have been before I saw it because I liked it at once.
Tim York
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Tim York wrote:He did say, however, that the 2007 is not currently showing well being aromatically closed down with oak obtruding, which corresponds to what Otto finds. He also said that the 2006 was similar at the start, which must have been before I saw it because I liked it at once.

Good the hear it has a chance of turning for the better. But will the inky fruit ever become something more interesting?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.