The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Connecticut

WTN: '01 Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Schloßberg Riesling Spätlese

by Salil » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Copied from my Burgundy and Riesling dinner thread. This was one of the wines I brought to the dinner, and by far the cheapest of all the white wines we began with (purchased from Flickinger for $15+shipping, fairly close to original retail price I'd imagine). It was among the top wines from the flights of whites/Champagne we had, blowing away the Muller-Catoir it was poured alongside and not seeming out of place when drunk alongside either the Montrachet or the even more brilliant Chevalier-Montrachet!

Very pale yellow colour with an amazing nose; peaches and other white fruits over hints of malt and honey with an intense stoniness that makes it seem as if dust from a rock quarry was mixed into the wine. Lots of power and richness on the palate with incredibly bright, precise fruit flavours over layers of rocks and gravel and bright acidity, finishing long and just slightly sweet. Very glad I have another bottle left (and I can't wait to check into that '98 Auslese from this vineyard).
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '01 Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Schloßberg Riesling Spätlese

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Got to love sale prices on top vintages. That may be the one silver lining in this economy.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Chapel Hill, NC

Re: WTN: '01 Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Schloßberg Riesling Spätlese

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:purchased from Flickinger for $15+shipping, fairly close to original retail price I'd imagine

Sounds very very good.

I hope this cash flow injection gets put to good use. Like buying more wines to sell at low prices!