The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Indiana

WTN: '05 G. Descombes Brouilly

by Mark Lipton » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Treating the broader topic of what represents good QPR to me, I find that my "go-to" souces for QPR wines these days tend to be Beaujolais and Loire Cab Franc for red wines, and Muscadet and QbA Riesling for whites. (Steve E's Syrahs are a category all their own). With that in mind, last night Jean came home in a bad mood and feeling lousy, so I hied down to the cellar for a ready-to-drink red to help salve her aching soul. What I came back with was:

2005 Georges Descombes Brouilly
nose: meaty, verging on Band-Aid, raspberry fruit
palate: medium body, deep fruit, rich mouthfeel, bright acidity

This wine was purchased last fall in Paris for about €14, a price that I would gladly pay again. I can see why Lyle Fass likened this wine to a Vosne-Romanee in his blog: it's got the weight and fruit profile. But the fruit is still recognizably Gamay and the tannins are soft enough that I didn't regret opening it now. Will it get better? Dunno, but it's lovely now.

Mark Lipton
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '05 G. Descombes Brouilly

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 pm

That weight seems to be a 2005 phenomenon, especially in that it is coupled with sufficient structure to not be top-heavy like the 2003s.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Chapel Hill, NC

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:57 pm

Not bad. Although I think this wine is tough QPR in the States at close to $30.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Indeed it is. It's also a tough find, even in more recent vintages.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.