The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

WTN: Brun and Texier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Brun and Texier

by Otto » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:46 pm

*Éric Texier Côtes du Rhône 2006 c.10€; 13,5%

13,5% abv. Texier is consistently one of my favourite Rhône producers, and this, my first '06, doesn't disappoint. Bright, refreshing aromas despite it being a Grenache blend and fully ripe. Medium-full body, good grip and liveliness with the sweet, red fruit so typical of Grenache. But unlike many examples of the grape in my experience, this never becomes heavy or cloying or difficult to drink. Refreshing, moreish and wonderful.

Jean-Paul Brun (Dom. des Terres Dorées) Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2007 19,95€; 12% abv

A lovely, light colour. The scent is pure, beetroot-like Pinosity, and this gets carried onto the palate which is bright and pure and has a lovely, refreshing tart quality to the ripe fruit. The tannins are attractively prominent. It is fairly light but also intense and racy. Awesome and pure wine!

Stylistically this reminds me a bit of the (far too few) Faiveleys or Montilles (or perhaps Gouges, but my experience is even smaller here...) that I have had. Perhaps the tart aspects won't endear themselves to many, but I know some of us will appreciate them!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Brun and Texier

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Two producers I really like a lot. It's taken some work, but I finally got my hands on some Texier. Delivery is next week! Notes soon after.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Connecticut

by Salil » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Nice notes, both of those wines sound lovely.

And David, which Texiers?

(If I hadn't already spent my Rhone budget on Gaillard, Ogier and Gangloff, I'd be asking you where as well :P)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 am

That Texier sounds great QPR. Alko? I have heard a lot of good of this producer (he used to post here) but have never seen any of his wine. Wine Searcher does not show any hits in nearby countries except the UK.

Brun, on the other hand, is here but I haven't seen this Pinot Noir. He talked about it during his visit last June but the usually adventurous importer here doesn't seem to want it.
Tim York
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Tim York wrote:That Texier sounds great QPR. Alko? I have heard a lot of good of this producer (he used to post here) but have never seen any of his wine. Wine Searcher does not show any hits in nearby countries except the UK.

No, it's one of our imports. We opened one at a trade tasting where I managed to try it. Silly isn't it, that by law I am prohibited from buying wines that we import unless I buy them through Alko (where this of course isn't listed)?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.