The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Great value Saint-Véran from Rijckaert

by Tim York » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:32 am

Saint-Véran “En Faux” Vieilles Vignes 2006 – Vinifié, élevé et mis en bouteille par Rijckaert, négociant – Viticulteur Jean-Paul Voluet – Alc. 13% - (€14,25), made from Chardonnay.

This is just the sort of great value wine that I continually search for and often find. It is not spectacularly cheap but has real finesse and elegance.
C: Quite light yellow.
N: Fine white fruit and minerals with touches of herbs and flowers.
P: Dry, medium in body and flavour intensity and quite long with lively acidity, superbly bright focus of fruit, minerals and aromas with just a dab of cream as a signature of Chardonnay. It has tamed the slight tartness on its finish which showed some 9 months ago and is free of the mild caramel notes which mar some of Rijckaert’s wines. Perfectionists might complain about a slight dip of intensity in mid palate but this did not spoil my enjoyment. It is perfect, like Chablis villages and 1er cru, as a pairing for trout and much more to my taste than most of the richer and more pretentious offerings costing 3 to 4 times as much from the Côte d’Or. 16/20++.
Last edited by Tim York on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Great value Saint-Véran from Rijckaert

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks for this note, Tim. Rijckaert confuses me, in part because I don't run across many of his wines. On the one hand, the Verget connection worries me, but I've good things about him, too, and I'm generally well disposed to wines of the Mâconnais. I'll have to do more research of my own :D

Mark Lipton
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks for the write up Tim. Another name to take note of, have you tasted many of his wines?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:40 am

Mark Lipton wrote: On the one hand, the Verget connection worries me, but I've good things about him, too, and I'm generally well disposed to wines of the Mâconnais. I'll have to do more research of my own :D

Mark Lipton

Mark, rumour has it that Rijckaert left Verget because of wine-making disagreement, though he himself is discreet on the subject. There is certainly no Verget connection now. Enjoy your research.

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote: Another name to take note of, have you tasted many of his wines?

Yes, I have been to several tastings where he presents his wines and have bought quite a few. They are generally very pure and brightly focussed but sometimes I feel he overdoes that oak (never more than 25% new, he says) leading to caramel notes on the finish and a lot of his bottles are closed by Nomacorc (this one wasn't) which makes me reluctant to age them sufficiently to integrate the oak.

There should be a few of my WTNs on his wines in the archive.
Tim York