The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Connecticut

WTN: 2001 Prager Durnsteiner Kaiserberg Riesling Smaragd

by Salil » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:08 pm

It's usually quite debatable whether a $25 wine counts as 'great QPR', but in this case I can't see an argument when you're getting a stunning Smaragd Riesling from a top level Austrian producer for that price tag. One of the best deals I've gotten from HDH (and happily I have one more bottle of this sitting around).

This has beautiful flavours of lemon oil, smoke, pine cones, pear and citrus fruits with an intense rocky mineral character. Dry, powerful and concentrated in the mouth, gaining weight with air with tremendous focus and precision of flavour. Finishes long and clean with a very refreshing rainwater-like sensation on the back end. A fabulous wine that's really great to sit down and explore over a few hours.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 2001 Prager Durnsteiner Kaiserberg Riesling Smaragd

by Tim York » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:02 am

Salil Benegal wrote:It's usually quite debatable whether a $25 wine counts as 'great QPR',

Not debatable for me. If you can get a top class wine like that for $25, that is perfect QPR. Equivalent prestigious white burgs, vulnerable to premox to boot, cost at least 3 to 4 times that. In my cellar, Fèlsina Rancia and Fontalloro costing €25-30 are equivalent values, equal or superior to Brunelli and Bordeaux costing at least double.
Tim York
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2001 Prager Durnsteiner Kaiserberg Riesling Smaragd

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:20 am

I am with Tim. I would also like to add that perhaps here in N America we can find same bottle of wine for a lot less.
I just opened the Castle Rock Petit Sirah. Cost in AB-land was $18 Cdn, betcha around $10 in the States, so good QPR for them with my promising write-up!