The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

WTN: 2005 E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône

by Ian Sutton » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:43 pm

What might on the surface appear a critical note, but I was won over by this wine delivering just that little more than the nose suggested.

2005 E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (4/18/2009)
Somewhat 'cheap' nose of raspberries and caramel, but perhaps venturing towards a more interesting meatiness.

The palate however is more interesting, offering a degree of grip and a pleasant juiciness that lifts the wine above other wines with a similar flavour profile. Overall a really handy food/bistro wine that doesn't threaten any great heights, but does deliver decent value.

At about £8 this is ok value, but pretty reliable and a handy bistro wine. Worth perhaps looking for 'on offer' as £7 or even £6 would change the value equation dramatically
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2005 E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:14 pm

£8? Wow, that is more than I would pay for this wine. It's still running about $10 in my neck of the woods, which is more like your £6 these days.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.