The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Poor QPR Chiroubles but meal saved by good Corbières

by Tim York » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:59 pm

I am not normally a detractor of beefy George because I recognise the work which he has done since 60s to improve the overall commercial standard of Beaujolais. I have enjoyed quite a lot of his bottles whilst agreeing that they mostly lack the spark of those from, say, Pierre-Marie Chermette as well as those I remember hand-picked by the owners of good 1960s Paris bistrots. Last autumn, however, I was disappointed by his Beaujolais nouveau which was lean and mean and so was this Chiroubles 2007 – Georges Duboeuf, which was thin and fairly tasteless with dry angular tannins; 12.5/20. Although the price (€9) was promising, this is in no way good QPR.

Fortunately another bottle opened for the cooking was at hand. It was Corbières “Le Prieuré” 2007 – Château de Vaugelas (<€5), made from Syrah, 100 year Carignan, old Grenache and Mourvèdre . This showed altogether more character; there were aromas of raspberry, plum, Mediterranean herbs, liquorice and tar on a full body with ripe tannins and an up-front and somewhat short shape on the palate; quite rustic but robustly enjoyable. This one is excellent QPR; 15.5/20.
Tim York