The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A lovely, little Kamptal GV

by Otto » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Steinschaden Grüner Veltliner Riede Stein 2008 13% abv; 8,94€; screw cap :D

I liked the '07 of this quite a bit, so I was keen to try the '08. I haven't heard any reports on how the '08s are supposed to be? Any news? I haven't tasted the '07 recently, so I don't anymore have a clear memory of it, but I don't think it had such a richness as this '08 did!

A very mineral scent, classic - even stereotypical - GV in its white pepper and slightly greenish but not underripe, limpid fruit that still promises richness on the palate. Despite being matured in tank and neutral wood, it does have some of the richness of non-Chablisesque Chardonnay, yet - gladly, of course - no oak notes. I guess part of the richness is from the 6g/l RS, but since the acidity is refreshing it stays compact enough that I find it very moreish. Mineral and refreshing finish, lighter on its feet than expected from the palate. Admirable length and complexity at this price level. Awesome QPR.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.