The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Connecticut

WTN: 2007 Baudry Chinon Les Granges

by Salil » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:18 pm

After reading some of Jim Cowan's notes on Baudry's wines I've been keen on trying some myself. Finally got some of the '07 Les Granges in hand and opened a bottle to go with dinner tonight (mildly seasoned chicken breast and rice with black beans).

Clear dark red colour. Beautiful nose of earth, graphite, red fruits and forestal herbal notes. Gentle and silky on the palate with fine tannins, savoury fruit and herbal flavours and plenty of acidity underneath. The finish feels a little clipped and light but no complaints - this is a really good value and incredibly food friendly. Very enjoyable with dinner, and a great introduction to Baudry - I'll definitely be on the lookout for some of his other reds in the future.
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:06 pm

Re: WTN: 2007 Baudry Chinon Les Granges

by Bruce K » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:10 am

Had the 2006 a couple of nights ago. I thought it was excellent, with a terrific array of aromas and flavors emphasizing cherry and red berry, herbs and minerals. Medium-bodied, very smooth with refreshing acidity and an excellent match with pesto. Year in and year out, this is one of my favorite wines and at $13-$15, one of the best definitions of QPR I can think of.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 pm

IMO, nearly all the top producers of Loire Cabernet franc are classical examples of great QPR for their whole ranges. Indeed I put this wine type forward as my candidate for best QPR in the world with cru Beaujolais from top producers there being its only serious competitor.

Just to confirm this I have looked up the price ranges in Les Meilleurs Vins de France 2009. Only the top cuvées from producers like Ch. de Villeneuve, Ch. du Hureau, Roches Neuves (Saumur-Champigny), Alliet and Joguet (Chinon) flirt with €20 ex-cellars whilst the whole ranges of René-Noël Legrand (Saumur-Champigny), Bernard Baudy (Chinon), Yannick Amirault and Jacky Blot (Bourgueil) are below. That leads to slightly higher prices at wine merchants, but the QPR is still extraordinary compared with similar quality from other regions.

Only Clos Rougeard (Saumur-Champigny) is significantly more expensive but the quality is outstanding.
Tim York
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:39 pm

Tim York wrote:IMO, nearly all the top producers of Loire Cabernet franc are classical examples of great QPR for their whole ranges. Indeed I put this wine type forward as my candidate for best QPR in the world with cru Beaujolais from top producers there being its only serious competitor.

Ditto, though I would add to this list other Loire reds, especially Gamays, Pineau d'Aunis and Cots from Touraine, not to mention to occasional oddball like Marc Ollivier's Cuvee Granit red "Muscadet."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Also a fan. Judging by Oswaldo's recent note, this year is a little lighter than some have been but it sounds no less attractive, just a different way of being attractive, and to be honest I'm more and more drawn to lighter bodied red wines like Beaujolais, so the 07 Les Granges sounds like a wine I need to find. Fortunately, one local store restocks every vintage.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:56 pm

Jenise wrote:Also a fan.

Very Facebook of you. :D
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.