The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Nice Mellot Sancerre but not really QPR.

by Tim York » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:08 am

Sancerre (W) “En Grands Champs” 2006 – Alphonse Mellot – Alc. 13% (guess €16)

I opened this because Bob’s craving for Sancerre reopened my own appetite. This producer is achieving something of a cult status like the late Didier Dagueneau’s from neighbouring Pouilly-sur-Loire. I can find out nothing about this cuvée but the red one with the same lieu-dit name goes for c. €50 !!

I notice that, like this one, a lot of modern Sancerre from reputable producers is smoother and richer than the tartly invigorating quaffs smelling of grapefruit, gooseberry and sometimes cat’s piss which I drank with sea-food in days gone-by in Parisian brasseries. Objectively these new ones are better wines but they do not satisfy my nostalgia.
C: Pale yellow.
N: Quite subdued with honey touches smoothing down the green fruit flavours.
P: Dry, quite full and round with lively acidity, impressive matter and structure with fair length; grapefruit and gooseberry were there but tamed and smoothly integrated and unlike a lot of Kiwi Sauvignon the aromas did not jump out. So a very nice wine; 15.5/20+.

This is not, IMO, particularly good QPR. The price of Sancerre is creeping upwards and at this level, I find a lot more class and complexity in, say, Vouvray from a good producer. And, if one strikes lucky, there are delicious Touraine Sauvignons for about €6. Top cuvées of Sancerre but not, I guess, this one can, however, age and take on some extra distinction; both Pascal and François Cotat make Sancerre with that potential and I guess the Mellot’s top cuvees (€30+) also have it.
Tim York