The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Drouhin makes a lovely, QPR CdNuits-Village

by Otto » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:47 pm

I have written several positive notes on Drouhin's Côte de Nuits-Villages 2005. It wasn't as obviously ripe (though fully so) as many '05s that we saw here, and retained lovely freshness for the year. It was astonishingly good for the 17€ or so it cost, but it seemed to be closing down as the last bottles I had were grumpy.

The 2006 became available recently, and only with a slight increase in price: about 18€ now. This is a brighter style than the '05, but has the similar elegant, yet fully ripe fruit. It has gorgeous, perfumed Pinosity - something I feel one often has to pay lots of € for. On some sniffs I do sense a bit of toast, but they are fleeting moments and don't interfere with the brightness and purity. Good grip, good fruit but nothing overtly sweet or gobby about it. Primary but even at the Finnish price, absolutely wonderful QPR. I have admired most wines from Drouhin that I have tried and this was no exception.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Drouhin makes a lovely, QPR CdNuits-Village

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Cotes du Nuits Villages can provide good value from the right producers. Bachelet (a producer that is now "hot" in the USA) makes a lovely CdNV that is available at a price that does not choke me (got mine for under $30).
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.