The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Argentinean Malbec-Corvina from Masi

by Tim York » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Paso Doble – Malbec-Corvina – 2006 – Masi Tupungato, Mendoza “Argentinean Soul, Venetian Style” – Alc. 13.5% - (€13 at an expensive shop); “double fermentation of Malbec grapes with a percentage of slightly dried Corvina grapes”.

At last year’s International Malbec Days at Cahors, I was tantalised by the prospect of tasting Masi’s Amarone style Corbec (Corvina-Malbec) and was frustrated by the no-show of the Masi team and wines. So when I saw this at a wine shop, I seized it as a second best.
C: Deep purple but not as intense and opaque as Catena’s pure Malbec.
N: Well developed sweet dark fruit.
P: Full bodied, mouth-filling and darkly and sweetly fruity with the warm succulence of Corvina complementing the rigour and structure of Malbec; I guess that this has seen new wood but it is not obtrusive; a deserving crowd pleaser; 15.5/20+++ QPR.

When can I taste the Corbec?
Tim York
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Argentinean Malbec-Corvina from Masi

by Ian Sutton » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Tim
Ta for this - my TN's on 2003,2004,2005 show a steady but depressing trend for good to poor (and going back further, the 2000 vintage made a huge impression on us). This sounds more promising, but yes, search out the Corbec, which adds real structure and I have high hopes it will cellar well.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster