The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Snorbens, England

WTN: Warwick Pinotage 2005

by Peter May » Sat May 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Let me kick off May's South African focus with a note on South Africa's own variety:

• 2005 WarwickPinotage Old Bush Vines - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (2/5/2009)
    Opened immediatley before drinking and it seemed to have closed up compared with previous times. Not a wine to drink on its own, this demands meat. It is solid with black plum flavours and dry leather. But after half an hour it softens, there's sweet berrys and a smokiness developing. I think this is one of those Pinotages that will last for 30+ years dropping tannins and becoming sweeter. I can't wait that long, but next time I must open it earlier before drinking and decant. (88 pts.)

I called in to Warwick Estate on my first visit to the Cape and was welcomed by owner/winemaker Norma Ratcliffe to taste her range of wines. Warwick has been one of my favourites ever since.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: Warwick Pinotage 2005

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat May 02, 2009 6:07 pm

Nice start Peter, did you know she was Edmonton-born?
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Snorbens, England

Re: WTN: Warwick Pinotage 2005

by Peter May » Sun May 03, 2009 6:33 am

No; I knew she was Canadian by birth but not which part.