The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2007 Bouchard Finlayson Crocodile's Lair Chardonnay

by Jenise » Sat May 09, 2009 1:14 pm

This chardonnay is a partnered effort between a member of Burgundy's famed Bouchard family and a South African winemaker (the Finlayson part). The fruit is sourced from "high lying vineyards" in one of South Africa's cooler climates, Overberg, and the wine is aged 8 months in French Oak. It's a big, sophisticated wine with obvious Burgundian ambitions: concentrated apple and pear fruit, a slight creaminess, slate-y minerality and prodigious acidity. This wine will be even better in a year or two when the acidity integrates a little more, but the wine also has the stuffing to age much longer. Originally released in the U.S. at around $22, I found it at Grocery Outlet this week priced at $6, and I'm on my way back this morning to relieve them of every last bottle they have.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: 2007 Bouchard Finlayson Crocodile's Lair Chardonnay

by Carl Eppig » Sat May 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Tell Grocery Outlet to open a store in NH!!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2007 Bouchard Finlayson Crocodile's Lair Chardonnay

by Jenise » Tue May 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Tell Grocery Outlet to open a store in NH!!!!

Don't you wish? I've had this wine two more times since posting my initial note, and the good impressions only deepen. I bought a case and now I wonder if it's enough.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov