The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

WTN: Today’s GOP

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:06 pm

WTN: Today’s GOP

by Bruce K » Thu May 14, 2009 10:21 am

aka Whale of a Wine

Southern Right 2006 Walker Bay Pinotage, $19
Purchased two years ago at Johannesburg airport prior to an 18-hour flight back to the U.S. after learning the authorities would actually let me take it in my carry-on. This starts out with some VA on the nose, which I imagine is to be expected with Pinotage, but it’s not too much, and there’s plenty of dark fruit, chocolate, smoke, earth and even a touch of flowers to keep it in check. On the palate, there’s nice dark fruit, rich but not cloying, with chocolate, spice, smoke, herbal and earth accents. This is very well-balanced with good complexity, decent acidity and some tannic structure. The idea of an elegant Pinotage sounds like an oxymoron but I think it actually applies here. And it makes an excellent match with homemade chimichangas. I would gladly buy this again if I could find it; I’ve seen Southern Right’s Sauvignon Blanc here, so I imagine the Pinotage gets imported, too.

Wildekrans 2005 Walker Bay Cabernet Franc-Merlot, $11
There’s not a lot on the nose at first (popped straight out of the cellar and might have been a touch too cold) but gradually, a mix of cedar and herby/bell peppery cab franc fruit emerges. On the palate, there is decent red berry CF fruit with some herbal and bell peppery elements, along with some cedar, and then turning into a very earthy, somewhat bitter finish. This is fairly light-bodied and almost seems a bit diluted, but there is decent structure provided by tannins and bright acidity. Overall, I like it and it’s a decent value. Goes very well with a chick pea/feta casserole.

Glen Carlou 2004 Paarl Grand Classique, $14
Tasted at my wine store on Saturday. This is a Bordeaux blend and it has classic cedary Bordeaux-style aromas and flavors. It’s well-balanced and seems to be made with restraint. In fact, it tastes more Old World than New to me. At this price, I bought some.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Today’s GOP

by James Roscoe » Fri May 15, 2009 3:33 pm

Bruce, where is your wine store? Those are nice prices if you are buying in the People's Republic of Montgomery Co.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:06 pm

Re: WTN: Today’s GOP

by Bruce K » Fri May 15, 2009 3:44 pm

James, the first one was bought in South Africa. The other two were purchased at my closest liquor store, Morris Miller (of George Pelecanos fame), on Georgia Ave. right over the D.C. line. I live just two blocks from the District border so it's easy for me to avoid the MontCo monopoly.