The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

WTN: Primo Estate 'Joseph' Sparkling Red NV Sept 2001 disg.

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:12 pm

NV, 2001 disgorgement, Primo Estate Joseph Sparkling Red - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Adelaide Plains (6/11/2009)
It seemed sparkling reds and me weren't to be. Barring a very fine Charles Melton sparkling red, none had really impressed me. Not the aged complexity talked of (in 1986 & 1990 Seppelts Show Sparkling Shiraz), nor keeping the residual sugar in check (in virtually all the others and indeed in the SSOSS).

This clicked for me though, more than even the Charles Melton wine.

Cork sealed, though more like a traditional cork as it came out, rather than the typical bulging sparkling wine 'mushroom'. This bought ~ 5 years ago. The colour is still a rich plum/claret with relatively fine but not persistent bead.

Impressive nose, with bright fruits, but also a faint bready note and swirling releases more baked fruit notes.
On the palate, there's a very viscous mouthfeel, especially initially on the tongue, not disimilar to some of the big fruited Barossan wines. Yet fight past this (and for me it is a fight) and there's great complexity to the palate.

Certainly the fruit is full and powerful, with the faint spritz (less than say a frizzante wine) keeping it in check. Baked/dried/liquered fruits come in, with a hint of mushroom and nuts. There is acidity but it's trying it's hardest and just keeping up - it does need the help of the wine's spritz though.

The finish has more complexity than expected and this is where the most mature aspects come through.

Whilst not 100% positive about this wine, I'm more than just impressed. One of those wines where you revisit it and it shows something else again. I'd definitely buy this again, even despite a fairly high price.

So, is this a great summer red? Well maybe not for me. It's a little too viscous (even with a white wine level chilling) and also a little too intense / full-on. It tastes way stronger than the stated 13.5% alc. Yet I still think it's a stonker and I could easily see myself on a winter's day, sipping this by a log fire. Maybe I still don't get sparkling reds :oops: :lol:

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Re: WTN: Primo Estate 'Joseph' Sparkling Red NV Sept 2001 disg.

by Matilda L » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:30 pm

I've had Joseph a couple of times. Can't remember which years' disgorgements they were off the top of my head. I remember the dried fruit and nuts flavours; you could taste the age in the wines that were used to make it. I enjoyed the drier finish, but felt the bead should have been more vigorous.