The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

WTN: 1997 Maso Cervara Teroldego Rotaliano

by Ian Sutton » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Not necessarily intended for this month's wine focus, but perhaps this wine isn't a bad fit. Though it wasn't cooled, it's perhaps a red for summer.

1997 Maso Cervara Teroldego Rotaliano Riserva Superiore - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Trentino, Teroldego Rotaliano (6/13/2009)
My first experience with this grape/DOC.

Colour is a remarkably youthful medium bodied purple/claret with no sign of age at the rim. A distinctive but not assertive nose, vaguely reminiscent of an earthy Dolcetto, albeit with a faint streak of blackcurrant & bell-pepper.

A very light palate, with vanilla too prominent (is this a varietal feature or oak treatment?) and a very reserved fruit profile, with no sign of any particular aged character. No tannins and acidity not too strong, but perhaps well-judged for the wine as a whole. There's a tangy black tea like twist to the finish and noticeably not very 'fruit-sweet'. 12% alc is not surprising in this context.

I must admit I find this a bit confusing - surprised at the seeming lack of development, yet it isn't tightly bound. Interesting to try, but not really sparking a desire to hunt further examples down.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster