WTN: Torzi Matthews 'Schist Rock' Shiraz 2006 (Eden Valley)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Torzi Matthews 'Schist Rock' Shiraz 2006 (Eden Valley)

Postby Salil » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:53 am

Umpteenth time I've posted a note on this wine (or some other vintage of this) - but this is among the very best value for money reds I've ever had, and pretty much sums up why I love Aussie Shiraz - when it's done well like this and not some inky, goopy mess. Equivalent of about US $20, under screwcap, consistent as always.

Clear dark red in colour, now just starting to show some lightening around the rim. Complex, exotic aromatics of white pepper, cinnamon, smoke and seawater (!) mingled with cherries and blueberries; medium bodied on the palate with more red and dark fruited flavours mingled with smoke and spices and plenty of structure underneath with fine grained tannins on the back end and bright acidity giving it lift. Really refreshing and long, excellent yet again.
Salil
Franc de Pied

Re: WTN: Torzi Matthews 'Schist Rock' Shiraz 2006 (Eden Valley)

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:21 pm

I always think of Eden Valley and Margaret River as cool climate. Torzi M is not a label seen around here but sounds right up my alley!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus