The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

WTN: El Duddo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: El Duddo

by Jenise » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:09 pm

A Canadian friend is himself Portugese and an importer of wines from his home country, and he has opened many a fine Portugese white so I had high hopes for this 2008 Casa Santos Lima 'Eximius Branco' whose 2007 I'm pretty sure I had and liked. This bottle? Not so much. From the Estremadura region and made from some or all of (the label divulges these as regional possibilities but is noncommital about what's actually in THIS bottling) Fernilo Pires, Vital and Moscatel, it's dry, savory and highly acidic--blind, I'd have guessed it to be an Italian Vernaccia, a wine I usually find too much of all those things to be attractive and engaging. The brusque entry skips over an underfruited midpalate and dovetails into a bitter finish. Okay with food, but lousy as a sipper. Cost: $10ish.

Excellent label, though:

EximiusBranco.jpg
(40.83 KiB) Downloaded 1002 times
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov