The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

WTN: Ossian Verdejo 2007

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:21 pm

This Spanish white is about as "offbeat" as you will find in New Zealand. It came up in a tasting themed 'Not So Common' that I went to earlier this week.

Ossian Verdejo Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León 2007 - Spain
13.5% alc. Cork Closure.
Light gold in colour. Quite nutty - almond-like on nose - a hint of marzipan perhaps - and delicately floral. Very dry and lean to start with a lightly oily texture and bitter lemon and apple fruit with a sprinkle of white pepper and salt-infused zest. It then builds in vinosity and textural complexity to become quite rich on the long penetrating finish where a suggestion of tarragon-like herb lingers and adds intrigue.
Made from grapes off 180-year old ungrafted organic grapevines, it was barrel-fermented and had 9 months in oak although I couldn't pick up the taste of oak in this wine.
A project of Aalto’s Javier Zaccagnini and Burgundian enologist Pierre Millemann It is evidently one of Spain's great white wines and was inspired by Le Montrachet - although I couldn't see any resemblance to Chardonnay at all. But I really, really enjoyed this wine - until I saw the price - NZ$65 - and I then knew I would probably never taste it again. Will just have to imagine the delicate seafood that it would undoubtably pair perfectly to.
Found another store selling it for NZ$80 = $US50. See what I mean.

Cheers,
Sue
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Ossian Verdejo 2007

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:11 pm

So are those sorts of mark ups the norm for imported wines? If so...yikes! I might start drinking Sauvignon Blanc.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:29 pm

No, but I think Ossian has 'cult' associated with it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:14 pm

Shocking prices, Sue, but Spanish Verdejo is indeed a wine to love. Never had the Ossian. Is the cult worldwide or just confined to NZ?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 10:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi Sue,
Was that price for a 750 ml bottle or magnum bottle?

Salute
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Jenise wrote:Shocking prices, Sue, but Spanish Verdejo is indeed a wine to love. Never had the Ossian. Is the cult worldwide or just confined to NZ?

I think the cult is confined to the producer, Jenise. I had never heard of this before the tasting.

Victorwine wrote:Hi Sue,
Was that price for a 750 ml bottle or magnum bottle?
Salute

750 ml bottle, Victor.