The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2003 Pascal Berthier St. Amour

by Jenise » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:48 pm

2003 Pascal Berthier "Saint-Amour" Vielles Vignes
Creches Sur Saone, France

So last weekend we were in need of a lighter style red wine and I knew the topic gamay was coming so I decided to open this orphan Bojo I had in the cellar from a pair I purchased last summer.

Woo! Too tart. Not ready, and a little sour smelling. So I opened something else and left this on the counter. The next day I sniffed it--uh oh, there's VA. So I left it yet another day and when I pulled the cork--vinegar! Full speed ahead, no U-turns, it was turning into vinegar!

So I went to the pantry to get my current house red wine vinegar, which I made myself from a bottle of red wine that went total-VA on me about a year ago, thinking I'd start feeding this one to that. The vinegar is in the original wine bottle it came in, I just put a better stopper in it. And guess what I found last year's red wine vinegar was made out of? The first bottle of 03 Pascal Berthier "Saint-Amour" Vielles Vignes!

So all's well that ends well: I am glad this happened because I really love the wine-y vinegar this turned into and I was going to be running out soon, and frankly good red wine vinegar is harder to find than good wine, and $16 isn't too much to pay for good red wine vinegar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov