The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Kevin C

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:14 pm

Broussard, LA

WTN: Domaine St Peyre Picpoul de Pinet 2007

by Kevin C » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:32 pm

While far from scarce, The Picpoul Blanc doesn't get a lot of love so here's a reminder

Domaine St Peyre Picpoul de Pinet 2007
$12
12.5% alcohol

Pale yellow with some glints of green, clear glass bottle wth synthetic cork

Nice aromas of honeydew melon, nectarine and tangerine, floral notes of honeysuckle
A little heavier in the mouth than the color let on, medium bodied with nice flavors of nectarine and tangerine and kiwi. Crisp with some acidity but not enough to make my wife not drink it. A nice bottle that falls in between the grassy SB and sometimes too sweet Chenin. This was pretty good and I'd buy it again.

We served it with tuna steak with some chimichurri seasoning and it wasn't a perfect match but it held up OK. Serve with shrimp or oysters and you've got a winner
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Domaine St Peyre Picpoul de Pinet 2007

by Jenise » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Kevin, good note. Have to say that though you're right there hasn't been a lot of noise made about Picpoul lately, Robin and I both used to sing the praises of one that started with an H--I think. Haven't seen it or any of its provincial cousins round these parts in several years, but if I did I'd definitely throw some in my cart.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Domaine St Peyre Picpoul de Pinet 2007

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:56 pm

There's a shop in Madison, CT where the proprietor swears by Picpoul. He was always pouring it in his Saturday tastings. I always found it a decent quaff but never much more.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.