The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

'06 Giacosa Arneis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:02 pm

IL

'06 Giacosa Arneis

by Dan Donahue » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Not an off-beat white to me since I drink quite a bit of Italien whites (a real bargain area), especially Arneis. A favorite of mine every vintage I've tried, this '06 bottling is in a good spot now. Takes some air to come to life but soon hits its stride with a floral blast on the noes and round, full flavors of peach, pear and honey on the tongue with a smidgen of nuttiness thrown in for good measure. excellent by itself, but with enough acidity to stand up to a dinner.
Je ne peux pas le faire
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Connecticut

Re: '06 Giacosa Arneis

by Salil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Sounds very nice, Dan. I've not explored too many dry Italian whites (the handful I tried from Fiano, Trebbiano & Corvina I found a bit too soft and waxy for my liking without the acid I look for) - but this sounds very nice. Is Arneis a grape for higher acidity?
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Salil, I find the acidity in Arneis more supportive than bracing. That is about par for the course for better Italian whites. Maybe some Vermentinos have more of an edge, but it is rare.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:53 am

Salil Benegal wrote: Is Arneis a grape for higher acidity?

Salil, Arneis is actually reputed to have LOW acidity and this was repeated on the back label of the Langhe Arneis which I reviewed a few days ago. I did not find that to be the case in that bottle.

NWR - what do you do for cricket Stateside?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:26 pm

I've had the Giacosa and it's superb--about as good as that grape gets. Great choice!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Connecticut

by Salil » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 pm

Tim York wrote:NWR - what do you do for cricket Stateside?

Webstreaming for the telecasts, don't play now that I'm in CT (used to play a bit when I lived in Chicago as there was a Midwest league and a lot of other enthusiasts).