The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: Dom du Vissoux/Chermette Cuvée traditionelle Beaujolais VV

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:23 am

2004 Domaine du Vissoux (Pierre-Marie Chermette) Cuvée traditionelle Beaujolais vieilles vignes
$13. Imp: Weygant-Metzler, Unionville, PA. 12% abv.
Before popping this wine in the fridge for a quick cool down, I opened it up and poured a small amount for Lill and I as I usually do. The nose was completely mute, it was thin, and the taste was all “I’ll take The Big Shrill for $400, Alex”. After 30+mins of air time, the wine in the glass (at roughly 72oF) was still muted and highly acidic but that didn’t stop me from pouring some from the chilled bottle (now at 60oF). What a transformation. The chilled wine bursts with wonderfully ripe cherry, strawberry, stone, and tobacco leaf aromas. The flavors are subtle, elegant fruit with light earth, the balance is exquisite, and it wraps up with a lengthy, lip-smackingly tart finish. This went from a potential sink dump to a fairly serious (and very yummy) Beaujolais.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Dom du Vissoux/Chermette Cuvée traditionelle Beaujolais VV

by Jenise » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:57 pm

So all that stuff about chilling Bojo is not about the fact that you can but that you should? Interesting, and something I'd not realized. I've got five bottles of gamay to try this month--better go put them all in the chiller.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Dom du Vissoux/Chermette Cuvée traditionelle Beaujo

by Otto » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:26 pm

Jenise wrote:So all that stuff about chilling Bojo is not about the fact that you can but that you should? Interesting, and something I'd not realized. I've got five bottles of gamay to try this month--better go put them all in the chiller.

Very odd experience there, Bill! I've usually found that Bojos can be more focused if a bit cool (at about cellar temp I would say, not chilled), but I've never noticed that it would be temperature which causes the scents to appear. Jenise, if you would be so kind, experiment with all these variables and report back - I'll certainly try to do so.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:37 pm

Otto, I'll definitely do that. And yeah, cellar cool is a no-brainer, but even cooler, I wouldn't have instinctively gone there. I like chilled red wines and in fact deliberately chill some to retard the raging fruit in a too-fruity wine. To chill a wine to do the opposite is, therefore, counterintuitive to my experience.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:34 pm

Jenise, I was quite surprised and it's an experiment I'm going to continue through this month as well. I don't know if this was a fluke or not but the aromatic difference was striking. I had Lill test the two glasses (without telling her what I had experienced) and she had the same response as I did.

Otto, yes, you are right. I just took the wine down from "counter temperature" to cellar temp (~60degF). I havent tried cooler than cellar temp but that would be worth a little side study as well.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:00 pm

Took the liberty, Bill, of looking up their website as the name rang a bell.

http://www.chermette.fr

I see there is one cuvee aged in oak!
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:07 pm

Thanks, Bob. I'd been poking around that site yesterday. That link is tied to the "Vins du Beaujolais" site (beaujolais-wines.com) and has lots of good info on many producers, the region in general, and the various appellations...including a nice map and nice vineyard pix.

Apropo to our discussions above, this site recommends drinking beaujolais at either chilled (11-12C/48-50F) up to "cellar temperature" (13C/52F) depending on the appellation.