The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 1997 Ridge Lytton Springs

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Dry Creek Valley, CA
14.9% alcohol
80% Zinfandel, 15% Petite Sirah, 2% Carignane, 2% Mataro and 1% Grenache
(I didn't grill outdoors but broiled a T-bone steak until lightly pink in the center.)
Purple-red color. From Paul Draper's notes:
"...flooding during the winter of 1996-97 but no rain after February allowing the largest and earliest set in 26 years of history of the vineyard. To ensure integrity and full ripeness, [the manager] dropped 1/3 of the crop in the young vines and 10% on the old vines, still achieving record yields. Taking advantage of unusually rapid color and tannin extraction, the skins were allowed to float during fermentation, rather than keeping them submerged...the 1997 is ripe and rustic--classic "old-style" Lytton Springs. Its lush fruit will be most appealing over the next five years." (i.e., 1999-2004)
As Mr. Draper tends to do, the forecast for aging potential was on the very conservative side. I feel the wine is wonderful now, 12 years after the vintage. It has a viscous texture and delivers a lush nose of ripe dark fruit and almost a floral note--violets or peonies?--and a whisper of autumn leaves. On the palate--ripe dark fruits-- blackberries and dark-skinned plums. Mouth-filling fine-grained texture; long-lasting finish. Carries its high alcohol level gracefully. I don't find it "rustic"--just utterly delicious and satisfying although it faded some on the third evening. I would score it in the 90's.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: 1997 Ridge Lytton Springs

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:03 pm

I used to take earlier vintages along to a Chinese restaurant (no liquor licence) and pour from a tea-pot to go with my BBQ duck!!
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:41 pm

Wine from a tea pot is back in fashion, according to my 19-year-old niece. It's a bit of a fad where she and her Uni mates drink. (18 is the legal age here).
I like the sound of BBQ'd duck with Ridge Lytton Springs, for sure, Bob.
As for a 12 year old Ridge - even better. What a treat. Like your own note better than Mr Draper's, JC.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:11 pm

Sue, wow!
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:30 am

I am going to have to grab one from the cellar for tonight or this weekend.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

Marlyne K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 pm

by Marlyne K » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Finished the last of the '97 (mostly had Geyserville), but have some '98 Lytton Springs...any info on them?
Thanks.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Marlyne K wrote:have some '98 Lytton Springs...any info on them?

Drinking well now.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.