The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

I'm not grilling, but...

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:42 pm

So my garage door is broken, thus I cannot get my grill out. So no "barbecue" (to borrow a word) for me, but I am still drinking wines worthy of the grill.

Tonight's 2005 Domaine de l'Ameillaud Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne just screams for a steak or burger with its dark fruit and balanced richness. I am truly sorry I can't light up. :(
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: I'm not grilling, but...

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:02 am

David, lots of steaks when you get up here shortly! Where are you staying in Banff? Banff Springs!!

Bob/envious.
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:04 am

David M. Bueker wrote: ... no "barbecue" (to borrow a word) for me ...

So barbecue isn't in your language.
It is very much in mine - barbecue plus barbeque plus BBQ.
Chef says it is a method, but in my part of the world it is both something you cook on as well as a method of cooking.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:10 am

I used to call any kind of grilling barbecue, but since I have spent a lot of time in the deep south (business travel) I have become sensitized to the fact that I don't barbecue. I grill. I wish I could barbecue.

I have no issue with other folks using the word.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 6:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:18 pm

Well here in the northwest, some of us do differentiate between grilling and BBQ. In fact this week, for our monthly wine steward meeting I am doing pork butts and chicken thighs on my Weber smoker so we don't starve as we taste through about 50 wines. I will then have lots of things to post. I also have a Traeger pellet grill that can smoke. If I could only have one unit, this would be it. It does the most consistently moist boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I have ever had. Same thing for bone-in.