The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2004 Brun Terres Dorees L'Ancien VV Beaujolais

by Jenise » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:32 pm

All the honking from the New York crowd over the years made this $12 wine the stuff of cult status in my little pea brain, so when I first stumbled over the 02 I was thrilled. I was surprised to find it a little thin/green and stinky, and when I described that in a tasting note there reactions ranged from shock to acknowledgements of bottle variation and a discussion about the use of sulfites. Then I bought the 03 which I wasn't gaga over, but it seemed an improvement over the 02. So last week when I found the 04, I wasn't excited, but I bought it anyway--there isn't a lot of Bojo in these here parts.

Eureka, NOW I understand what Coad et all were going on about. This is BEEYOOTIFUL. I poured two glasses at cellar-cool, about 60F, then put the rest of the bottle in the fridge for further chilling.

1st glass: Jodie Foster in a suit--rather pretty but in a severe way. Gorgeous ruby colored. Captivating and assertive nose of raspberry, red currant, pepper and a sweet smelling flowers, but emphasis on the raspberry. Bone dry on the palate, almost tasteless at first.

2nd glass (chilled): Just like Bill's experience: this is the stuff of epiphany. All of a sudden we can taste everything we smell. The pepper mutes but the fruit really comes forward and now we taste strawberry over raspberry, some white peach and flowers too. It was enchanting from beginning to end. So much so that Bob suggested that in the future we buy Beaujolais instead of white wine.

Okay, I'm hooked.
Last edited by Jenise on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 2004 Brun Terres Dorees L'Ancien VV Beaujolais

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:52 pm

At $10-12 for this stuff, it's pretty hard to justify spending your gamay dollars on anything else.
Jodie Foster in a suit! Love it.
Any idea how chilled is "chilled"? It's nice to see that you and Bob had a similar experience to the chill-factor as Lill and I did here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:06 pm

Bill, no on the temperature question. And that's a pain, because somewhere around here we have a cuff that was a gift from a friend and that we rarely use. After all, between the cellar and the climate, there's not a lot of variation. If I'd been able to find it last night I'd have been able to bore you to tears with a minute-by-minute description--consider yourself lucky.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:31 pm

I just stuck an instant read thermometer in my glass.

If I'd been able to find it last night I'd have been able to bore you to tears with a minute-by-minute description--consider yourself lucky.

Hey, I'm a physicist..I love gory details. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:55 pm

..I love gory details.

Oh, really? Well then. We were sitting on the sofa half-naked...naah, forget it. :)
Last edited by Jenise on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:06 pm

Jenise wrote:
1st glass: Jodie Foster in a suit--rather pretty but in a severe way. Gorgeous ruby colored. Captivating and assertive nose of raspberry, red currant, pepper and a sweet smelling flowers, but emphasis on the raspberry, but bone dry on the palate, almost tasteless at first.

2nd glass (chilled): Just like Bill's experience: this is the stuff of epiphany. All of a sudden we can taste everything we smell. The pepper mutes but the fruit really comes forward and now we taste strawberry instead of raspberry, and we can taste the flowers too. It was enchanting from beginning to end. Bob suggested that in the future we buy Beaujolais instead of white wine.

I dig it, great description. Had this Monday night and at first it was too cold, then turned into Jodie Foster and then exploded. Still think there are better 10 Beaujolais but nothing better in the first 4-5 years of life.
Walt
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:59 am

Oh, really? Well then. We were sitting on the sofa half-naked...naah, forget it.
Half? So was it you or Bob? :p
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:35 pm

So was it you or Bob?

A girl never tells. :wink:
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:36 pm

Jenise wrote:
So was it you or Bob?

A girl never tells. :wink:

They took the whole capsule off the bottle. Topless.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.