The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: 2005 Clos Roche Blanche Cuvée Gamay Touraine

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:34 pm

2005 Clos Roche Blanche Cuvée Gamay Touraine
$13 Imp: Dressner. 12% abv. Synth cork.
Chilled to slightly below cellar temp. This wine is extremely refreshing and quite well balanced. Raspberry and minerals with a chalky/limestone finish that I haven’t found in gamay from Beaujolais. Not too sweet, not too tart, crystal clear fruit, decent acidity, and chalky tannins with enough presence to match well with a grilled pork chop coated with ancho chili-based dry rub. I’ll be buying more of this.

(Edit: Vintage was 2005, not 2004)
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2004 Clos Roche Blanche Cuvée Gamay Touraine

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:35 pm

Sounds delish. If you get more get me 3. I think I know when I can get them from you. :D

Any idea how many different CRB wines are produced? I've seen what seems like tons of them, though I know it cannot be more than 5 or 6.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:36 pm

Nice one Bill. Have been looking for some Gamay Touraine!! At the moment, well into the `91 Ch de la Gardine Chateauneuf. Back from the Red Earth rodeo!!
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:25 am

I'm sure I'll be heading back to the local Dressner outlet prior to our trek south and I'll grab you 3.
Hmm, I've seen the cab (sauvignon and franc blend, I think) and sauvignon blanc. I think there is also a cot too. You're right, from all the notes on CRB there has to be more variety than these.
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:26 am

Did you bring all the rodeo girls back with you again, Bob?
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:30 am

Nope, they are still partying up there. Had to come back and host a birthday party for a 85 year young lady who sells me the odd horse or two!!
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:57 pm

There's also the Pif, a cot-cab franc blend, I believe, and l'Arpent rouge, a Pineau d'Aunis, not to mention their Sauvignon Blanc. I'm pretty sure there are others as well.

Raspberry and minerals with a chalky/limestone finish that I haven’t found in gamay from Beaujolais.

You've put the finger on exactly what I love about Touraine gamays -- the minerality, especially on the finish, that goes far beyond what I usually find in Beaujolais. Plus, they're cheaper.