The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

WTN: 2001 Trinchero

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

WTN: 2001 Trinchero

by MichaelB » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:32 am

We had biodynamic Trinchero 2001 Barbera d’Asti Superiore tonight. Pouring it right after uncorking, we were surprised at the big whiff of cherry cough syrup and alcohol (13.5). As the meal progressed, the scent was less overpowering and we got a bit of greenery, say Swiss chard.

The wine is tart, even sour, by itself. But it went great with a light meal of salad, shrimp tortillitas a la Mark Bittman, and cheese. This is a meal we usually eat with Txakoli or Vermentino or some other southern WHITE wine, though—so much for the old cliché.

This is the lesser of the two Trinchero barbera bottlings, and we got it for $13 from Garagiste in 2007. Based on tonight’s meal, I’d buy more of this and consider shelling out for Trinchero’s top wine—has anyone here tried it?
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2001 Trinchero

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:57 pm

A name I am not familiar with, will look around!
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:A name I am not familiar with, will look around!

Trinchero = Sutter Home. Trinchero family owns Sutter Home, Bob. They own several brands. Trinchero Family Estates, Folie a Deux, Montevina (Sierra Foothills), Soleo, Fre...
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

by MichaelB » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Hoke, are you sure? While there have certainly been Italians involved in the California wine business—Antinori / Atlas Peak comes to mind—I can’t find anything on the net about a connection between Trinchero Family Estates in California and Ezio Trinchero in Agliano Terme, Piedmont, Italy, and the Italian logo is not listed along with all the others (I didn’t know about Joel Gott) on the California Trinchero company website (http://www.tfewines.com). But then, neither is Soleo, and the site was last updated 4 years ago. Anyway, the Trinchero Barbera d’Asti we drank is worth searching for—Sutter Home, maybe not.
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:21 am

My bad, Michael. Different Trinchero.

And I didn't read carefully enough.
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

by MichaelB » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:12 am

Yeah, well, I should have been more precise in my TN label. And your post made me check out what seems to be the Rolls-Royce of Italian barbera producers. I had thought of barbera as plonk, but I will be ordering some more from this winery--several West Coast dealers stock Italian Trinchero wine--when the weather cools down. But I'd still like to hear what others have thought of this wine and its big bro!