The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Bargain of the Year

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Bargain of the Year

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:07 am

Last spring we tried to take advantage of a great deal on an ’04 GDB Julienas from a well known Long Island City retailer. When it didn’t show up for a while, we called and were told we were too late on the Julienas, but we could get a box of 2002 Georges DuBeoeuf, Jean Descombes, Morgon for $3.07 per bottle. We asked if it was still living, and were assured it was. Even with the $9.50 S&H it came to $3.36 per bottle.

The first one we opened tasted a little flat. Hoping that it was just suffering from the shipping, we decided to let them rest for a while. About a week later we made a batch of Coq au Vin with one of the bottles, and drank a nice Pinot with it. That was fabulous. This has been repeated a couple of more times since. After a two week wait we popped a second bottle for drinking and loved it with grilled burgers. It recovered!

On the eye it showed ruby red color with no bricking. On the nose and tongue tip it gave black cherry and blackberries. It held up fine in the middle with cinnamon and vanilla notes, and finished nicely.

So, we have been breezing through this box all summer with burgers, grilled chicken legs (as in last night) and the afore mentioned Coq. Bottom feeding strikes again!
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Bargain of the Year

by Ian Sutton » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:47 am

Carl
And to complete the picture, we had a bottle of the 04 Julienas (one of the wines that I believe Duboeuf got his knuckles rapped over). It was pleasant enough, but I reckon you got much better value from the Morgon.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:28 pm

What a neat deal, Carl. I'd have been thrilled if they'd offered me that--I generally like Morgons better than Julienas anyway. Or so I think with relatively little experience with both (but when does that ever stop us from having opinions?)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:26 am

Great, I am going to pop a Morgan pretty soon....well, after the Pepiere, the Hof, the Kim Crawford, the Triacca!! All the while listening to my recently purchased Doris Day Memories CD.