The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Mas de Gourgonnier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 4:50 am

Mas de Gourgonnier

by John F » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:10 pm

I can't get this now in Japan - but you guys should look for it in the US. It is a great value wine - probably mid teens and a cool, squat shaped bottle. I have only had the rouge which is a grenache, mourvedre etc blend from the Provence area, but know they make a rose for sure and maybe some white.

A great organic wine

I also hear they make incredible olive oil - not sure of the distribution on that
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Mas de Gourgonnier

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:54 am

Well-known name, lucky you John! Which vintage are you able to buy?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Here is the Gourgonnier website; sorry in French only; a British flag is displayed but produces a site structure without English text - http://www.gourgonnier.com/index2.php?lang=fr . The Alpilles area where the AOC Les Baux de Provence is located is one my favourite parts of France and the local olive oil is certainly amongst the best in France.

The outstanding local estate is Domaine de Trévallon.
Tim York
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Your link there Tim made my day. Had a heck of a time accessing this site last night! I would be interested in tasting all of these wines!!
Do you have access where you are Tim?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:12 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Do you have access where you are Tim?

I haven't seen any here, Bob. It is curious that the website only lists importers into the USA.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Funny you should mention it. Just picked up a bottle of the 2005 yesterday--last one this particular retailer had. Am looking forward to it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 4:50 am

by John F » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:57 am

Jenise wrote:Funny you should mention it. Just picked up a bottle of the 2005 yesterday--last one this particular retailer had. Am looking forward to it!

do tell!

love your kitchen photos
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:40 pm

It was delicious! We enjoyed it with what could be one of the last patio meals of the summer, grilled curry-marinated boneless/skinless chicken thighs with small eggplants sauteed with olive oil, fennel seed and white wine. Kind of an Indian-Mediterranean crossover which was actually a pretty perfect match for our 2005 Mas de Gourgonnier les Baux: fruit flavors of raspberry and tomato with a lot of black pepper and spice, along with a whiff of the kind of herbaceous plants that grow on warm climate hillsides. A bit on the rustic side at present but I believe it will smooth out with even more time in the bottle. Left us desperately wishing we had more.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:40 pm

John F wrote:I can't get this now in Japan - but you guys should look for it in the US. It is a great value wine - probably mid teens and a cool, squat shaped bottle. I have only had the rouge which is a grenache, mourvedre etc blend from the Provence area, but know they make a rose for sure and maybe some white.

A great organic wine

I also hear they make incredible olive oil - not sure of the distribution on that

John, I haven't purchased this wine for a few years, but you are absolutely correct. It is a winner every time out of the gate, and I need to pick up a few to reacquaint myself. And you are right about the price, as it should be available for $15 or less.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
John F wrote:I can't get this now in Japan - but you guys should look for it in the US. It is a great value wine - probably mid teens and a cool, squat shaped bottle. I have only had the rouge which is a grenache, mourvedre etc blend from the Provence area, but know they make a rose for sure and maybe some white.

A great organic wine

John, I haven't purchased this wine for a few years, but you are absolutely correct. It is a winner every time out of the gate, and I need to pick up a few to reacquaint myself. And you are right about the price, as it should be available for $15 or less.

It was $19.99 here.