The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: 2005 Drouhin Beaujolais-Villages

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:39 pm

Mike, we seem to be on the same page here, although different vintages. I really enjoyed the `03 I posted mid-week. Hope to hear how yours developed!!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: 1998 Joseph Drouhin Moulin-A-Vent

by James Roscoe » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:52 pm

This wine was nicely priced at $16.99 at our local BAWS. I purchased a bottle to join the fun this weekend. I was not disappointed. I chilled it in the fridge for half an hour and then opened it. It was a beautiful tawney The nose was immediately raisins and other dark fruit. It continued to have the dark fruit character when tasted, but took on some great notes of leather. It made a really nice companion to the london broil and sweet potatoes for dinner.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:53 pm

Wow, the `98!! These M-a-V can certainly age eh. Did you sort of notice any Burgundian thoughts as you were tasting? My Morgon hardlly got going,Robin thinks some kinda taint.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:28 pm

I got it off the shelf. The store had a nice supply. I thought it was showing really well with lots of complexity. My wife thought there wasn't as much going on. It was certainly at the end of its window. I would buy some more at $16.99. I loved the leathery notes. It was certainly a lot better than the young bojo I've had.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN /Open Mike: Joseph Drouhin 2000 Morgon

by Otto » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:24 am

Bob! What a pity the Morgon wasn't good. I think Robin was right: it does sound like mild cork taint. I think the tell tale sign of a very mildly corked wine is that it has no or very little aftertaste.

I believe 2004 had issues with rain during harvest, but most that I have tasted haven't suffered from being diluted as IIRC the weather until then had been pretty fine and good growers of course were very selective in what grapes would be used. Mostly I have found a slightly unpleasant tartness to be a problem with the 2004s but even that seems to have disappeared from most wines during the last year. I don't recall tasting the Morgon 04 but the other 04s have IMO been fine from Drouhin, so I would be surprised if they messed the Morgon up - but anything is possible.

Mike! Thanks for the note! I've liked the Bojo-Village from Drouhin also, but do find the Crus more satisfying. But in my experience the Village will, when this young, show much better the next day open. On the first day it is just too primary for my tastes but on the second the mineral and earthy nuances come out. If you haven't yet drunk the few glasses, hold them for tomorrow!

James! That sounds lovely - it seems to be just at the spot I like my Bojos. Except I didn't think it would have been quite so ripe as to have raisins! But I guess Bojostan is so close the Rhone already that similar weather was there in 98? In the Rhone I've found too many raisiny wines from that vintage. Anyone have much experience with the 98 Bojo vintage?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Re: 2005 Drouhin Beaujolais-Villages

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:39 am

Going back to Robin`s point about cork taint, how does that explain the oh so lite colour? I just do not get it.
Previous