The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2003 Georges DuBoeuf Morgon, Domaine Jean-Ernst Descombes

by JC (NC) » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:00 pm

Couldn't locate the Brouilly I thought I had so opened this. 13.5% alcohol. I paid $11 each for two bottles at a Beaujolais dinner last November and picked up the bottles later. Dark purple color, dense appearance, leaves legs on the glass. Calls to mind dark fruits such as boysenberries and blackberries. A slight tartness despite the hot year--not overripe fruit. By the third night I was finding cherries along with the dark fruit and even a smidgen of chocolate or cocoa. Went very nicely with broiled chicken thighs and okay with Triscuits topped by Havarti cheese.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2003 Georges DuBoeuf Morgon, Domaine Jean-Ernst Descombes

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:37 am

Is this Bollyjolly a step up from the "flower label"? Seems pretty good JC.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:11 am

The last bottle of my '02 bargain is going into a Coq Au Vin this weekend. I thought I was the last person in the world still making this, until WS featured it as the only French recipe in their recent foods of the world edition.
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:20 am

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:The last bottle of my '02 bargain is going into a Coq Au Vin this weekend. I thought I was the last person in the world still making this, until WS featured it as the only French recipe in their recent foods of the world edition.

Actually, sometime in September I'm planning on doing Coq Au Vin and tasting several Gamays with it.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:41 pm

I've been away from the computer for a few days. I moved across town into a brand-new condo.

The Domaine Jean-Ernst Descombes Morgon from Georges DuBoeuf most likely is a cut above the flower label, although still quite inexpensive. I enjoyed it--especially with the broiled chicken.

P.S. The first two big deliveries to the condo, before I moved in, were a washer and dryer and a Eurocave Comfort 260. I don't think even the Eurocave will hold all my wine but the better bottles are getting preferential treatment now and I usually keep the temperature of the residence between 66 and 72 for the others. Now if I can figure out how to install the two additional sliding shelves?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:28 pm

The Coq Au Vin was a big hit. Washed it down with Castle Rock Sonoma County Pinot. Yum.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Whats next, lamb shanks!! Yum.
I have heard that the Sonoma Co. bottling is a better buy than the Mendocino??
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:26 pm

I think the Sonoma Cty one is better. It runs $12.99 U.S. in NH Liq stores. Lamb shanks is a good idea, but with Syrah.