The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

WTN: Hip Hip Perret

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:06 pm

WTN: Hip Hip Perret

by Bruce K » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:02 am

Anne-Marie Perret 2000 Morgon Grand Cras, $11
This starts out with a nose of barnyard, earth, minerals and plum/raspberry fruit. On the palate, there is deep plum/raspberry fruit mellowed by maturity with some beety accents and strong notes of earth, herbs and minerals. Very smooth and elegant with good acidity. Excellent match with pesto. The next day, it’s similar, though the fruit has some cranberry as well. The earth and mineral elements are delightful. I think this is a very fine example of how good cru Beaujolais can be with some age on it. Importer: Kysela.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: Hip Hip Perret

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:34 am

Nice notes there Bruce. I was out last night looking around a southside store and came across some Morgon from `00 (unknown producer),but $30 Cdn??
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:06 pm

by Bruce K » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:45 am

$30 Cdn??

Sounds overpriced to me. While the Perret was certainly a great deal at $11 US, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Morgon for more than $20 US which at current exchange rates would come in, I'm guessing, at under $25 Cdn.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:54 am

Thats what I thought, but mind you this store is very high end and has a termendous selection of wines that are hard to find anywhere. They do have some everyday wines like Dr L, Fairview, Catena etc but so many other mouth-watering wines on the shelves.