The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Not a TN ... disappointing 04 Brun Beaujolais

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:03 am

So, excited by all the insider talk here, I satisfied my geek-wines jones with a big box from Chambers Street, including all manner of Bruns, Pepieres, Clos Roches Blanches and Puzelats and other good things. It arrived in good order and not even warm, despite the risk of August shipment.

I tried to be a good boy and wait a few days to let them settle, but decided tonight that one of the Bruns - so young, so fresh! - would surely be all right.

So, I put it in the fridge long enough to bring it down to cellar temp or a little below, pulled the cork, and ... eeehhhhh ... Dang! There's just not much there there.

This is the <b>Jean-Paul Brun 2004 "Terres Dores".Beaujolais "L'Ancien"</b> ($12.99) that others have posted here with great enthusiasm. I just don't know if I'm dealing with travel shock or threshold-level TCA, but it's disappointing. Not undrinkable, just thin and very tart, with a light wild-strawberry aroma and some dusty minerality, not bad stuff, but it seems awkward and disjointed and overly acidic, and neither temperature nor breathing seems to change it much one way or another.

I've got a second bottle, and I think I'm going to give it a few weeks before I try it again and post a formal TN.

Curiously, though ... comments, anyone?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: Not a TN ... disappointing 04 Brun Beaujolais

by Bill Hooper » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:29 am

Robin,
I've been a fan of Brun for a few years now (especially the Beaujolais Blanc) and haven't had any bad bottles. I also think that these days good Beaujolais is longer lived than in the past, when village and even some crus were best consumed within a year of being bottled. Does it taste tired? The 2005's might be better, but hopefully it's just a case of bottle shock.

Prost!
Bill
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:48 am

Bill Hooper wrote:I've been a fan of Brun for a few years now (especially the Beaujolais Blanc) and haven't had any bad bottles. I also think that these days good Beaujolais is longer lived than in the past, when village and even some crus were best consumed within a year of being bottled. Does it taste tired? The 2005's might be better, but hopefully it's just a case of bottle shock.

Bill, I wouldn't have said it was tired ... I agree with you about Beaujolais lasting longer nowadays and have drunk 1999 and 2000 and 2001 Crus with enjoyment this month. The '04 Brun is current stock at Chambers Street, or at least it's the vintage being sold on the Website. There's plenty of fruit, too, but it's a little muted (that part makes me wonder about threshold cork taint), and the shrill acidity is just all out of balance.

I'll definitely wait a month before trying the other one.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:55 pm

We would chalk it up to travel shock. We shall see in a couple of weeks from what you say. We've had more problems with travel shock with Bojos including the Crus than with any other kind of wine. Don't know if it is a characteristic of Gamay or what. Nowadays we just let it rest a good spell without another thought.
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:39 pm

I did have a string of 4 of the '02 L'Ancien that were corked.
The '04's that I've had have been stunning.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:00 am

I've now had 4 or 5 bottles of the 2004 l'Ancien. My first bottle showed jsut as you describe for the first 24 hours. I put half the bottle in the fridge and it was much better the second day. Every bottle since has been much more integrated and showed stronger fruit balancing the (high) acidity.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:14 am

David M. Bueker wrote:My first bottle showed just as you describe for the first 24 hours. ... Every bottle since has been much more integrated and showed stronger fruit ...

Thanks for the reassurance, David. Now I'm sorry I only got two. I think I'll save the other to drink on Beaujolais Nouveau day ... <i>instead</i> of a Nouveau ... :oops:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:36 am

Robin,

I'm with Bill and David--sounds like classic travel shock. No flaws, just not all there. For sure there's just no way you would have drunk the wine we enjoyed here and not gone as gaga over it as we did. I've got four more--nanny nanny poo poo!

Jenise
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:54 am

Jenise wrote:I'm with Bill and David--sounds like classic travel shock. No flaws, just not all there. For sure there's just no way you would have drunk the wine we enjoyed here and not gone as gaga over it as we did. I've got four more--nanny nanny poo poo!

I'm sure you're all right, and I blame myself for impatience. I should have waited! It's been a little over two weeks now, but I'm thinking I should let the second one rest for a month before I try it. If I love it, I hope Chambers Street will still have a few left. :-9
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:02 pm

Robin, why risk it...order NOW. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:01 pm

Jenise wrote:Robin, why risk it...order NOW. :)

Good point!