The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

WTN: Casa Rey 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon - Argentina

by Howie Hart » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:27 pm

Casa Rey 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon - Argentina (Mendoza) 13% abv. $5.99
OK - Its not Chile or CA, but I just opened it anyway and figured, "Why Not?"
There was a big display of this brand in the store when I was wine shopping for MOCOOL and it was a special at $5.99 and get the second bottle for $1.00. So I thought I had picked up 2 bottles of Malbec, which I've never tried and when I got home, I realized that one of the bottles was Cabernet Sauvignon, and as a result, I didn't get the second bottle for $1.00. But, I digress. Fake cork. Deep color. Sniff, swirl, sniff, swirl, sniff. Ah, finally a hint of something that resembles wine. I've never had a wine with so little aroma. In the mouth, its just as bad. Sip, slurp, chew, sip, slurp chew. Not enough acid, almost no tannins, short finish. This is one of the worst wines I've ever had, not because of of any noticeable flaws, but because it is totally devoid of any aroma or character. If I did get it for $1.00 it wouldn't have been worth it. I think I'll marinate a pot roast with it. :(
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: WTN: Casa Rey 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon - Argentina

by OW Holmes » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:08 pm

If it has no smell, and no taste, and no acid, you might as well use water for marinating your pot roast, Howie.
-OW
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:04 am

Sometimes you DO get what you pay for, Howie!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:11 am

Jenise wrote:Sometimes you DO get what you pay for, Howie!

How true! That being said, I have had some really nice $6 Vouvray. But now I'm all geared up for a decent Cab, so this weekend I think I'll pull the cork on a Raymond I squirreled away a while ago.