The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

WTN: 1999 Raymond Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa

by Howie Hart » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:39 am

My first experience with Raymond was a '74 which I drank in '78 and it was one of the most enjoyable red wines I've ever had, so I was looking forward to this. I served it to accompany a family meal last night. We started with French onion soup and salad and a bottle of my home made '04 bubbly blend (PN + Chard). The '99 Raymond (13% abv. - >$20) was served with a tenderized, charcoal grilled chuck steak that had been dusted with Chef Carey's dry rub (see thread in Kitchen forum about Deni) and corn on the cob. Deep cherry red stain in the inside of the cork. Very generous nose. Perfectly balanced - full, complete, mouth filling, very long finish. While not as spectacular as the '74 I remember, this is an excellent wine that paired up quite nicely with the meal.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: 1999 Raymond Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:32 am

This is a winery from the past for me! Used to drink their SB but nothing recently. No agent here? I am looking forward to tasting some more Calif cabs this month, including the Truchard.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 1999 Raymond Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:31 pm

I'm steadily working my way through the half case of 1998 Raymond Generations I bought this year. It's a family and friends' favorite, and the Nugget Market's wine department manager gave me a great deal on it! :lol: (They also make great Cabernet fudge sauce and wine-infused mustard)

I noticed today that Wine Enthusiast pans pretty harshly the 2002 Raymond Generations as too soft.

His/Their palette is just....different...than mine. This month's Wine Enthusiast Cab Focus had comments about wines I've tried that are totally different than my impressions. (He descirbed Frank Family Reserve as very soft and fruity...I don't agree at all). I guess I need more palette education.
:oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach