The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: in which I enjoy a Chilean wine, Seña 1999!

by Otto » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:03 pm

As I've said before, miracles shall always abound: I'll admit that I really did like Mondavi's and Chadwick's high end Chilean wine, Seña 1999! It weighed in at a hefty 14% abv and a bloody high price (aka, will I eat for the rest of the month having recently bought another bloody expensive wine?) of 48€. It is a predominantly Cab S (75%) blend with Merlot (16%) and Carmenère (9%) mixed in. It will surely be a surprise that I bought it to anyone who has an idea of my preferences in wine. But I had tasted the 1998 in a recent tasting of top Chilean wines and that had been by far my favourite wine of the tasting. Also today I needed something that would appeal to a wide range of tastes: from the big and fruity to the lovers of the lean and mean and green (mmmm!). This worked and was liked by all as it was a genuinely good compromise.

The colour is very dark. But it is not purple, but red.

The nose has that strange and strangely attractive scent that I think is called bell pepper (though not reminiscent of bell pepper IMO) in our jargon. It isn't overpowering, though, so I don't want to draw attention to it as I've seen it used mostly as a negative descriptor. There is a nice vegetality to the scent and much ripe and sweet fruit - but that is balanced by the savoury notes I mentioned.

The palate is sweet, but moderately tannic and acidic. It is big certainly, too big for my tastes, but it is well balanced - that I have to admit. It is incredibly long also with the lovely vegetal note a lovely counterpoint to all the fruit.

One thing I have noticed about Chilean wines, this one included, is that they all tend to have Cassis. And I don't mean cassis like in Bordeauxs, but Cassis which is almost a parody of itself. That mixed to the ripe fruit is a give away in blind tastings. I have heard speculations that it is caused by a type of yeast used in these wines. Is there any truth to the speculations? Is there a yeast that causes a parody of the Cabernet smell? Or is it terroir?

-Otto- (wondering if it is only Suvi's return that made me like this wine so much....)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: in which I enjoy a Chilean wine, Seña 1999!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:11 pm

Don`t know how to answer your question in last paragraph!!I just drink the stuff,LOL.
I think from your notes that the nose and taste could have been opposites?!! Glad you met up with the green capsicums! Thanks for posting on one of the top flights, I am still drinking the $10 stuff!!

Tonite, Cono Sur Organic Cab/Carmenere, $18 Cdn. Big spender here.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: in which I enjoy a Chilean wine, Seña 1999!

by Otto » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:29 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Don`t know how to answer your question in last paragraph!!I just drink the stuff,LOL.
I think from your notes that the nose and taste could have been opposites?!! Glad you met up with the green capsicums! Thanks for posting on one of the top flights, I am still drinking the $10 stuff!!

Tonite, Cono Sur Organic Cab/Carmenere, $18 Cdn. Big spender here.

Opposites? Really? I thought they were rather in synch with each other....

I was also going to post on Don Melchor 2003 as that seems really pop and hip and all that (and that apart from Seña it's the only other Chilean I seem to be able to palate for more than half a glass), but Finland ran out of it before I got to buy a bottle. :( I guess I'll have to order a Beringer Private Reserve 1994 from the hideously expensive special list of our monopoly to try the Cali side. (Does 63€ sound hideous to you on that side of the pond?)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.