The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

"Still drinking those Cabs from Chile?"......"Yes,last one!".

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:33 pm

In actual fact there are a few from California, but no rush as I am getting all mourvedred up for October!!

WTN: `03 Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon--Colchaqua Valley, Chile.

Opened one hour, decanted, 14% alc. Big fan of the Syrah but this one sells well in town and is readily available for under $20 Cdn.

Color. Big dark ruby-red. Medium plus intense centre.

Nose. Pretty closed at first but opens out after hour and a half. Some oak, savoury black fruits. Tobacco and hint of leather, minty.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry is juicy, ripe finish, low tannins. Plum,cassis, could use some more acidity. Briary/tobacco after 2 hours, comments around me mentioned 'international style, violets, has some structure, ready now". Think I could have poured straight from the bottle?
Not a lot of real depth here, it`s OK but expected more grip.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: "Still drinking those Cabs from Chile?"......"Yes,last one!".

by Ian Sutton » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:00 pm

Bob
We had one of these recently (I reckon it might even be of the same vintage). For us it was a very well put together wine, but maybe never going to be great (but at the price perhaps that's unfair). We couldn't quite put our finger on what was missing, but lazily reckoned it was just missing some character. It almost felt like a creation from someone who was technically strong, had studied hard and had done everything correctly, but maybe without having yet learned the subtleties.

Whatever, this still represents great value and there are much worse wines that cost a lot more. I see this as a lovely safe case filler or restaurant wine - complete confidence it will be well made and enjoyable.

Even the wines on the level below (bizarrely called "reserve"!) are worth trying, especially the Sauvignon Blanc which is a welcome sight on a restaurant wine list.

The only wine I've disliked was a badly overworked chardonnay in the Alpha range. For me it was a very clumsy and leaden-footed wine.

regards

Ian
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:08 pm

Thanks for the imput Ian. I left the remainder for a couple of days and the finish was quite developed...briary/cigar box. Nice but guess not too many tasters would have some left after an hour of opening!! Just goes to show eh.
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:24 pm

Had a Montes "M' recently - their very high priced version, and it was very good if not worth the price at c. $80 Can. (the syrah equivalent is the Folly).

BTW, their cab-carmenere blend is the equivalent quality of their straight cab, but they price it down about one third because they don't think people are familiar with carmenere. It makes it a bit of a bargain.