Top Bandol Producer

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Who is the top producer in Bandol?

Tempier
80%
Pibarnon
No votes
Other
20%

Total votes : 5

Top Bandol Producer

Postby Bill Hooper » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:33 pm

I know that Bandol has a few outstanding producers, but the most recognized are probably Pibarnon and Tempier. Who do you deem best?
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Re: Top Bandol Producer

Postby Carlo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:25 am

who.........?

educate me
Carlo
Wine geek

Postby Bob Ross » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:40 am

A waiter in the Midi eight years ago rated them as follows:

Château Pradeaux
Château Pibaron
Domaine Tempier

I've tasted a bunch of them -- I still agree.

Regards, Bob
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:27 pm

Bob, interesting ratings. The best Bandol I ever had was indeed a Pradeaux (a 92 drunk about two years ago), but I've never had another. Do you know La Suffrene? I picked up a bottle yesterday judging that it was from the better vintage (01) of the three available (Tempier and La Bastide Blanch from 02 and 03), and have no idea what's in store for me. One shouldn't judge from labels, but the label on this is sleek and modern like a high rise office building compared to the other two.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bob Ross » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:34 pm

I've never seen La Suffrene, Jenise. Although it's a clunky website and all in French, the pictures are lovely. Makes me want to go to the Midi. :-)

http://www.domaine-la-suffrene.com/

I'll look for the wine itself. Thanks for the tip -- maybe we will both be pleasantly surprised.
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Bob, indeed, nice website and like you (I'm staring into a fog bank at the moment) it made me want to get on a plane. Meet you for dinner!

Re the wine, I just now did some searching for comments on the internet. There are, like, NONE. No American wine lists, no Cellar Tracker notes, nothing. It's very popular in Amsterdam, though. :)

And I found this in the 2005 Decanter awards:

Silver
Domaine la Suffrene 2001
Bandol, Provence, Provence

(Red)
Opaque ruby, spicy garrigue nose, ripe, big fruit flavours, ripe baked plum and chocolate, just starting to show its potential
Not available in the UK
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Jenise » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:12 pm

Bill, which do you like best? And when are you getting to post a tasting note? :roll:
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bob Ross » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:36 pm

I found a note or two from retailers, Jenise:

Domaine La Suffrene Bandol Rouge 2002
SKU: 1431204 Provence, France

This Bandol has a pleasant nose of black fruit, vanilla and herbs, with silky tannins in the mouth and rich chocolate and spice notes on the firm finish. This is a sexy wine with a great quality to price ratio. Price: $24.99. Wine Gallery, in Brookline MA, which has a pretty good rep.

And Tony Fletcher likes both the 1999 and the 2000: http://www.ijamming.net/Wine2005/2005WINEREVIEWS2.html

But, not much written that I've found. Regards, Bob
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:42 pm

I don`t think that many realize that Keith`s post ( the main forum) on the Hampshire offline UK, is a Bandol tasting. Some wonderful wines tasted there, go looksie!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bill Hooper » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:24 am

Jenise wrote:Bill, which do you like best? And when are you getting to post a tasting note? :roll:

I'm an off-vintage Pibarnon man myself. I did drink an O.G. Tempier 2003 the other day which didn't much merit a TN at this stage -all punchy fruit and sandpaper tannins. As for a real TN, Soon...

Prost!
Bill
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus