The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Quinta do Pégo VP 2003

by Otto » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:49 pm

It's November, ergo time for Port. It's terribly cold in Finland at the moment: just the time of year when one needs the warmth of a port. This month will be busy, with one major port tasting, two 2003 VPs lined up and a 20 YO Tawny and maybe even a Q. do Cavadinha 1995. Expect a deluge of TNs! :twisted:

Decanted 4 hours:

The nose is slowly starting to lose the spirity edge, but it hasn't integrated yet. There is lots of ripe red berries, strawberries and raspberries. But the nose isn't totally red toned. There are darker overtones of liquorice and even a bit of earthiness. Take the spirit out, and it is an extremely pleasant scent - albeit a bit simple and primary.

The palate is still massively spirity. It is very sweet with the tannins well integrated into all else, but there are quite a bit of them. Once the harshness of the spirit subsides, I guess this will turn into a fine, opulent port. It does seem a bit simple, but the components are very pleasurable.

I'll still revisit once more later tonight. There's half decanted away until tomorrow, when the spirit should be settled.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Quinta do Pégo VP 2003

by James Roscoe » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:46 pm

You don't consider this (the fact that it's time for a lot of port notes) a problem do you?
Last edited by James Roscoe on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:12 am

I think it will all balance out with some airing? My bummer of the year, port-wise, is the Churchills `00 LBV. Not much hope for that one!
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:34 am

James Roscoe wrote:You don't consider this a problem do you?

The spirityness? I'm afraid you need to be a bit more verbose here for me to understand you! ;)

Bob, I'm a fan of the longer decanting times that Roy Hersh advocates. I don't like the smell and taste of spirit in my ports, but it does (usually) get integrated with 12-24 hours decanting. Whenever I open up a young port I give it at least 12 hours before drinking (of course nosing it every 2-4 hours to get a feel for how it's going) - unless an emergency happens and the guests want port that wasn't "scheduled" to the dinner, of course.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:37 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:You don't consider this a problem do you?

The spirityness? I'm afraid you need to be a bit more verbose here for me to understand you! ;)

I re-edited the original. I was being a but laconic.

I will have to try decanting a port. That's something I've never done. I would think that could really help. Unfortunately my wife despises the stuff, so I rarely get to have it around.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:22 am

James Roscoe wrote:I re-edited the original. I was being a but laconic.

I will have to try decanting a port. That's something I've never done. I would think that could really help. Unfortunately my wife despises the stuff, so I rarely get to have it around.

Ah-haa! Of course of I don't find it a problem drinking lots of port when it's this cold! :)

James, if your wife dispises it, try to find some young vintage ports in half bottles. The 2000s and 2003s are haven't yet closed down (I think the 2000 will soon, though) and with a 12-24 hour decanting are just lovely. A half can be drunk in two days and will certainly keep that long.

Also, VP isn't the only good type of port. Colheitas and Tawnies last open a bit better so if you can get them in halves go for it!

-Otto-
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:41 pm

Now when it has had a day of air, it is really showing well. The spirit has gone from both scent and taste. The nose is very plummy and less savoury than yesterday. The palate is very sweet, well balanced, moderate acidity and soft tannins (but there seem to be plenty of them, but they are well hidden by the fruit). Moderately long aftertaste. I like this.

I know the 2000 has received a bit of good press, but I haven't seen anyone else comment on the 2003. This is a fair port!

Robin: isn't this supposed to be Port month? There's still Mourvèdre in the forum sub-title! I'm feeling lonely being the only one drinking port. Come on, be a good sport everyone and open up some sportwine.