WTN: '77 Warres -Finally Coming Around?

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: '77 Warres -Finally Coming Around?

Postby Bill Hooper » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:22 am

My birthday was last week and to celebrate, we always drink a 1977 vintage Port. I was born that year and every other wine producing region besides Portugal was terrible in 1977 (believe me, I've tried 'em). Not that I can complain. Apparently upon release, 1977 was heralded as the vintage of the century (for Port of course, but I'd like to think humankind as well :D ). Throughout the last couple of decades, the vintage has been described as 'eternally youthful', 'tannic beyond reproach', hard edged and incapable of finesse'. The overall consensus has been that the 'Vintage of the Century' will never quite live up to expectations. That is a lot for a bottle of Port to live down, to say nothing of a mere man. I would like to report that the 1977 Warres is finally softening a bit. Last year she was mere raspberries and razor-blades. The year before, even more so. But last weekend I dare say, the '77s have achieved what is damn close to balance. Fruit driven, elegant raspberry, rhubarb and flower-blossom. A little bit spicy, but the most revealing characteristic is the way the alcohol and fruit seamlessly marry and all menthol and heat has dissipated. The once rough tannins have aged gracefully and the porty sweet/tart, love/hate relationship has been reconciled. Was it blind wishful thinking? It was a wonderful night. But maybe these 1977s are starting to come around. If not, I've got a handful of wines from particularly and entirely bad vintages worldwide to sink into.

Prost!
Bill
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Re: WTN: '77 Warres -Finally Coming Around?

Postby Randy Buckner » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:03 pm

The top 77s are still a decade away from maturity IMO, and they will hold much longer.
Randy Buckner
Wine guru

Postby Clint Hall » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:14 am

Randy Buckner wrote:The top 77s are still a decade away from maturity IMO, and they will hold much longer.

You betcha. And, Bill, if you haven't had the 77 Fonseca and Taylor's you are in for a treat, now and for decades to come. Great year to be born, esdpecially if you're a top-of-the-line Port!
Clint Hall
Wine guru

Postby James Roscoe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:04 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:The top 77s are still a decade away from maturity IMO, and they will hold much longer.

That goes for the people too? :D Heck I'm a '59 and I'm still years away!
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:37 pm

Ruth has just posted a tasting note under the "Decadent Wine Dinner" thread.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:51 pm

I had the '77 Warre on Monday and it was incredibly floral. Very tasty, but still well away from maturity.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to Wine Focus