The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

WTN:Jacquesson Extra Brut 1995

by James Roscoe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:32 pm

The Welcome Hoke to DC fest got off with a real bang. Thanks to John Guyton for bringing this fabulous bottle of vitage Champagne he and wife Kate picked up on their trip to Rheims last summer. It was cooled while we impatiently waited for our glasses. Orders of appropriate Italian meats and other premeal treats were made and once it all arrived John opened the bottle with routine ceremony and poured for all assembeled. It was glorious stuff. Los of yeastiness and nuts on the nose. The palate was equally complex. No notes were taken so I am writing off memory. It was savoured as long as possible. I don't think the lack of a long chill hurt it much at all. Perhaps others will chime in with their memories. I really loved it and want to thank John and Kate for bringing it along.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN:Jacquesson Extra Brut 1995

by Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:45 pm

Jacquesson is one of my favorite Champagne houses, but I've not seen the "extra brut". Does this imply no dosage?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:38 pm

Jenise wrote:Jacquesson is one of my favorite Champagne houses, but I've not seen the "extra brut". Does this imply no dosage?

That had me guessing to, so from epicurious.com:
brut
[BROOT]
A term applied to the driest (see DRY) CHAMPAGNE and other SPARKLING WINES. Brut wines are drier (contain less RESIDUAL SUGAR) than those labeled "extra dry." Extra Brut denotes a wine that's extremely dry, sometimes totally dry. Totally dry sparkling wines (those that aren't sweetened with a little DOSAGE) are also sometimes called Brut Nature or Brut Integral.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE WINE LOVER'S COMPANION, by Ron Herbst and Sharon Tyler Herbst
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:01 pm

Yeah, Brut Nature is the term I'm familiar with. Can't remember seeing Extra Brut before. Thanks for looking it up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Jacquesson is one of my favorite Champagne houses, but I've not seen the "extra brut". Does this imply no dosage?

I'd have to ask John. They picked it up in Rheims on a trip last summer (lucky dogs) so perhaps he knows. Bob Semons was at the dinner too. He seems to know a lot about everything. I'll put the question out to them.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln