The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Recent Krugs + a Krug look-alike

by Otto » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:27 pm

MV Old Label

A very full on and bready style, like a fruit salad - big, sweet and imposing rather than lovable. The mousse is utter perfection, and the palate is nicely tart but with an unbelievable concentration of fruit. This particular bottle had been stored for about 3 years before opening. The bottle showed no degorgement date. It is a great Champ, but I have to admit that this isn't a style I adore on the scent, but the non-malo palate is one I do like very much.

MV New Label

No degorgement date on this either, but it was the first batch of the new label that made it to Finland. Though I have read from many sources that the new label of the MV is inferior to the old, I liked it more. It was brighter, more lemony, less oak-influenced yet still just as complex. The palate was as delightfully tart as always, yet fruity and balanced and lovable. This is the first Krug that I have genuinely loved. Preposterous price, though.

Krug Vintage 1990

Crushed stones, chalk, exuberant fruit and oak, fruit salad aromas, strawberries. As in most Krugs I've had, the nose just isn't one that I fall in love with - sorry. The palate rocks, however: no malo, tart yet fruity, mineral, very dry and savoury, perfect mousse. If you like the full bodied style, this is probably the greatest Champ you could get.

Call me a heretic, but having tried this 1990 twice, the 1988 once and the MVs of old and new lables many times, I do find the MVs more complex! Perhaps just a case of the Vintages being too young? Yet I don't see the components really evolving into something I would like either. If anyone wants to send me a fully mature Vintage so that I'll change my opinion, I'll let you know the shipping address. :)

I've not tried many Krugs, but what has always intrigued me is that I seem to love the palate (I think they are all non-malo?), though it is a bit too full bodied for my taste, but the nose is something that I cannot get to grips with.

But for those who love the Krug style, Gosset Grand Réserve NV might be a good recco. The nose is rather oaky, full and fruity. The palate is dry and forceful yet fruity. Served blind a month ago, I thought it was the Krug MV old label! Yet it is only about 1/3 of the price. I may suck at blind tastings, but still I think it is an indication that there is value to be found in this Champ if the full bodied style is what one likes.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Recent Krugs + a Krug look-alike

by Otto » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:55 pm

Appendix: Krug 1995 was fine. Sure it is oaky, but it is harmoniously so and I feel that it will integrate with time. It is bright and expressive with a lime marmalade nose, figs, flowers and even a touch of petrol! The mousse is utter perfection. The acidity is divinely high. Though the fruit is rather shy at the moment, but there is lots of it. The aftertaste is interminable and surprisingly mineral. I liked it. Not enough to pay the price it goes for, but still - it was a dashed fine drink.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:43 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Appendix: Krug 1995 was fine. Sure it is oaky, but it is harmoniously so and I feel that it will integrate with time. It is bright and expressive with a lime marmalade nose, figs, flowers and even a touch of petrol! The mousse is utter perfection. The acidity is divinely high. Though the fruit is rather shy at the moment, but there is lots of it. The aftertaste is interminable and surprisingly mineral. I liked it. Not enough to pay the price it goes for, but still - it was a dashed fine drink.

Who can afford what any Krug costs these days? I will be happy to drink it with those who are able to afford it however.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
no avatar
User

Cam Wheeler

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 17, 2006 8:01 pm

Sydney, Australia

by Cam Wheeler » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:08 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
MV New Label
Though I have read from many sources that the new label of the MV is inferior to the old, I liked it more. ... Preposterous price, though.

Thanks for the notes on some of my favourite wines. I have said before that I think the new label is just as good as the old but it seemed I was almost alone in my view, good to know that someone else finds the new label enjoyable.

I'm not sure what it costs in Finland (although I doubt it would be worse than our terrible Australian prices for imports), but I don't especially consider the price outrageous. I wish I could drink it every week, but I'll content myself with saving up for a half bottle every now and again.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:38 pm

Oh boy, I'm really out of date here. Old label vs New label? Are there two labels with a new wine in a new style, or did the old non-vintage label change in style AND get a new label? Oh, and MV, vs. NV, Otto? It's not like you to make typos, but I was presuming that MV means NV, for non-vintage, until I read your last note with uses 'NV'.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:27 pm

I'd buy Krug Grande Cuvee if it were ~20% cheaper. At ~ £75-80 when on multibuy offer (any day with a Y on the end usually) it's just too expensive, for what is 'just' a bottle of wine (albeit a very good one). At £60 it would still be a luxury purchase, but one I would try to do occasionally.

The problem is when you know you can get a stunning 'celebration' wine for £40-50 and when you realise it doesn't need fizz to be something to celebrate with.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:45 pm

Ian,
When it comes to special celebrations, my wife is in love with champagne more than I am. It's her absolute favorite stuff in the world. But the she loves the the Pommery and the Louise, even if it isn't as good, is a lot less expensive.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh boy, I'm really out of date here. Old label vs New label? Are there two labels with a new wine in a new style, or did the old non-vintage label change in style AND get a new label? Oh, and MV, vs. NV, Otto? It's not like you to make typos, but I was presuming that MV means NV, for non-vintage, until I read your last note with uses 'NV'.

I think about two years ago, they changed their label for the MV (multi-vintage, not non-vintage). I saw lots of negative postings on the new MV, but found it brighter but otherwise in the true Krug style. Ergo, I thought it handled the oaky and heavy fruity aromas better than the old MV style.

I used to love Krug in half-bottles, but the new label MV for a half has risen in price by 20€ to 80€ so I'm not buying anymore. It used to keep up my mental health in some situations. Once I threw out a person from our book shop because he was acting a bit aggressively. The next day he was pacing outside the shop with a woodplank with nails sticking out of it and shouting that he would kill me when I came out of the shop at the end of the day. He went to jail for such threats, but I still needed a half of Krug to feel better. With the preposterous pricing, what Champagne will I turn to now if something like it happens again?

-O-
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:28 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:...... It used to keep up my mental health in some situations. Once I threw out a person from our book shop because he was acting a bit aggressively. The next day he was pacing outside the shop with a woodplank with nails sticking out of it and shouting that he would kill me when I came out of the shop at the end of the day. He went to jail for such threats, but I still needed a half of Krug to feel better. With the preposterous pricing, what Champagne will I turn to now if something like it happens again?

-O-

Otto, that's a pretty harrowing storry. Might I suggest a glass of port or maybe a single malt? That would work for me.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Otto,

Try to source some Vilmart. It's a lot cheaper than Krug and stands in decently well.

Laura is a true Krugiste. No matter how high the price goes I have authority to buy it. The vintage that is...she's not a fan of the MV.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Otto,

Try to source some Vilmart. It's a lot cheaper than Krug and stands in decently well.

Laura is a true Krugiste. No matter how high the price goes I have authority to buy it. The vintage that is...she's not a fan of the MV.

I've been drinking Drappier Carte d'Or halves now. More my style than the old label MV. Such a shame the new label and its brighter tone became even more expensive from the already dashed expensive it used to be.

I've only had Coeur de Cuvée or some such name from Vilmart. It was a great wine, but again in a style that isn't a personal favourite. I'll try to seek some out if we ever get any.

-O-